Awakening

Beach House, Hamptons

Dear Daniel,

I'm writing this letter, because that way it's easier for me to tell you the truth. And besides, you have to listen to me and can't interrupt me. First of all... No more lies! When you read this letter, you know all about me. There are no more secrets.

How do I start? I think it's best I start at the beginning. Do you remember how we met the first time? I spilled the drink on your jacket and so we got into a conversation with each other. But it was not a mishap. I did it on purpose. I wanted access to your family and you were the key in order to reach that. How so? Now that you know that I'm really Amanda Clarke, you will have guessed the answer. To take revenge. To take revenge on the people who brought my father to jail. I had made a list with the people who were responsible for it. Your parents were at the top of the list. Do you know how it is when you lose the only person you have loved and trusted? Your parents and some others, I don't want to bring up here, were responsible that I lost my father and became an orphan at an early age. I've been in different children's homes, had foster parents who only took advantage of me and then ultimately became a criminal and ended up at the juvie. But the good thing was that I met Emily Thorne there, and the decision to avenge myself on those who had stolen my father and my childhood was quickly made. I couldn't return as Amanda, so Emily and I switched identities, and I became Emily Thorne. With a new identity, I returned to the place of my childhood and started my revenge campaign. Your mother had been right all along. I've only used you to get entry into your family. I was amazed how quickly she was aware of my true intentions. But I think it was only because we are alike. To make it short, I will summarize the events which took place after that.

My goal was to destroy your family, to take everything away from them that they had taken from me. I had obtained a good training and build-up on Rebun Island and was ready. I met Aiden there, too. But more later about that. It wasn't difficult to become the new owner of the beach house. From there I had a good view and could navigate my actions. The plan was simply perfect. But then something happened which I hadn't reckoned with. I fell in love with you. When you proposed to me, I didn't have to fake my enthusiasm. I really wanted to marry you. At the time, I was so naive to believe that I could do both, take revenge and be happy with you. But you were a Grayson, even though you never wanted to be one. I didn't realize that until you sided with your father. I decided to break up with you, though it wasn't easy for me. I know you thought it was because of Jack and the kiss we'd exchanged at the time. But we were never lovers. It was only the memory of the past that we both wanted to hold on to. I think he truly loved Emily when she appeared as Amanda in the Hamptons. If she hadn't died, they would still be together. But maybe it was fate, otherwise he wouldn't be together with Ava now. But I get off the point...

Shortly after our split-up, Aiden appeared. We had had a love affair on Rebun Island and he wanted me back. He helped me to continue my way of reckoning, and I helped him with his affairs. The mutual urge to take revenge on those who had wronged us bound us together. In hindsight, I wonder if I really loved him. At least I thought it at that time why I was ready to go with him. We had a final plan before we could begin our lives together on the Maldives. Victoria Grayson had to be destroyed. In order to do that I had to get closer to you again. So Aiden and I faked a break-up, and you were more than ready to give me a second chance. A re-engagement, a new plan. But then Sara arrived on the scene, and I could almost see how everything slipped out of my hands. You suddenly didn't want to marry me any longer, and I decided to take more drastic measures to hold you. So I faked a pregnancy. I knew that you would never have the heart to abandon your own flesh and blood. I always wondered if things would have been different if I had already known that I was really pregnant. But back then I had no idea about my condition and continued with my plan. After the wedding, I wanted to feign my death and then pin the blame on your mother. She would have ended up in jail. My revenge would have finalized and I could have started a new life with Aiden, with a new identity, on the Maldives.