Crash

Nolan's Mansion, Hamptons

Five days later

"I really appreciate that I can live here," Julia said to Nolan. It was only a few hours ago that she arrived in the States, but instead of being tired, she felt energetic. "And I can't thank Emily enough for what she did for me, too. I hope she and her husband will find their way back to each other. She hasn't talked about anything else for days."

"I think the feeling is mutual. At my last meeting with him he had only talked about her. Just wait and see what Victoria will think about that reunion." He rolled his eyes. "The two of them loathed each other from the start," he explained, when he saw Julia's questioning look. "And that goes beyond the classical mother-in-law/daughter-in-law dispute."

"I'd really like to meet them, the Graysons I mean," Julia said, smiling. "Emily told so much about them that I'm really curious now."

"All in good time," Nolan slowed her gently. "First, I'll introduce you to Ava and Jack. These are good friends of Emily and me. And, of course, Charlotte, the youngest Grayson's daughter and Emily's half-sister."

"It's all so confusing." Julia frowned.

"As I said, all in good time." Nolan smiled. "And as long as we haven't found a house for you, you can stay here with me."

"Yeah, sure." Julia laughed. "As if I thought Emily would buy me a house."

"Do you think she was kidding when she suggested to buy you a house?"

Julia sighed softly. "I know she's wealthy, but I'd rather go to work and earn the money for the house myself. And to begin with it would be enough to have a modest apartment where I can live with Jill."

"You are living in the Hamptons now," Nolan said. "The domicile of the rich and famous. There are no 'modest apartments'." He grinned. "But I can understand that you want to earn everything yourself." He scratched his head. "What kind of work did you think of?"

"Well, I'd like to work as a chambermaid again."

"There are quite a few hotels here," Nolan confirmed. "I can put out my feelers and pull a few strings if you like."

"Thank you!" Julia hugged him spontaneously.

Nolan freed himself from her and smiled sheepishly. "You're a friend of Emily and therefore my friend, too. And friends help each other." He paused for a moment as his cell phone rang. "Just a moment," he said to Julia, answering the phone. Then he listened intently to what the caller told him.

"Did something happen?" Julia asked worried as she noticed Nolan's shocked expression. Instead of giving her an answer, he reached for the remote control and switched the TV on.

"... the company jet, with the Grayson couple on board, was on the way to Chicago, where Conrad Grayson and his wife wanted to participate in a charity ball. But shortly behind Cleveland the jet disappeared from the radar. It's assumed that a turbulence was responsible that the jet couldn't keep its route and then probably plunged into the Lake Erie during a correction maneuver. The search has already begun. However, there is still no trace of the missing jet or the passengers..."

Nolan turned off the TV and looked at Julia. "That was Jack," he said in a low voice. "He just wanted to tell me what we just witnessed."

"These are Emily's in-laws," Julia muttered.

Nolan nodded. "And it looks like you won't meet them anymore."

Beach House, Hamptons