Nightmare

Cleveland Police Department, Cleveland, Ohio

Abuzz with tension and anxiety, Daniel paced back and forth while waiting for further news of the fate of the jet and his parents at the police headquarters. Shortly before, another search party arrived, which had searched a large area on land and also in the sea. Until now, they knew neither where the plane had crashed, nor whether there were survivors. The uncertainty strained his nerves, and he longed for clarity. But when the chief of police stepped into the room with a serious expression and shook his head, he knew that the search had been without success.

"I'm sorry, Mr. Grayson, but as soon as it gets dark, we have to stop the search for the time being. The search party will continue tomorrow morning." He put a hand on Daniel's shoulder. "You should go to your hotel and try to sleep. As soon as there is news, we will inform you immediately."

Daniel looked at the chief officer stonily. "Do you believe that there is still hope?" He asked reluctantly.

"Do you want to hear my honest opinion?"

"Otherwise I wouldn't have asked." He nodded. "Please, be straight we me."

The policeman scratched his head. "Well, it all depends on where they came down and how. If the jet had fallen into the water, there is hardly any hope. The collision alone would be enough to let the jet burst. If they could land on land, there is a good chance of survival. But it also depends on how the emergency landing took place and in what kind of surroundings. According to our information, only the pilot and your parents were on board."

Daniel nodded. "He has been in our service for many years. He's an adept pilot."

"We have to investigate in all directions..." The officer cleared his throat. "Did your parents have enemies?" He got right to the point.

"What do you mean?" Daniel looked at him confused.

"Well, as I said, we have to take everything into consideration. And when you say the pilot was experienced, it can also be that someone tampered with the jet."

Daniel's eyes widened in horror as he realized what the policeman was referring to. "You think someone had deliberately sabotaged the jet?"

"Yes, something like that. Is that possible?"

"I don't know." He ran through his hair with a helpless gesture. "My parents are wealthy, successful and in the limelight. Of course, there are people who are jealous and hate them. But I can't remember anyone who hated them so much that they would kill them."

"Your father was kidnapped a few months ago," the chief officer said thoughtfully. "Could there be a connection?"

David Clarke, Emily's father, flashed through his mind. But he didn't say it. He finally had made peace with Emily, he didn't want to lose her again by reporting her father to the police. But the doubt was planted in his head. Did David Clarke really have anything to do with the crash of the jet?

"Mr. Grayson?"

Daniel's head jerked up. "What did you say?"

"I asked if it could be possible that there was a connection between the kidnapping of your father and the crash of the company jet?"

"No," he said hastily, avoiding the officer's piercing gaze.

"You seem to be really sure." He frowned. "Well, as I said, we must investigate in all directions. Since the kidnapping of your father hasn't been so long ago, there is a strong suspicion, especially since the police in New York had closed the case and the kidnapper is still on the loose."