Unpleasant Surprise

Nolan's Mansion, Hamptons

After she had called Nolan, Charlotte had gone to the mansion straightaway to discuss the details of Emily's rescue. Fortunately, Daniel had already left when she had run off, otherwise he might have tried to stop her. But now they needed to hurry, because he now knew that the private investigator had been at the house. He would find out soon about the surveillance cameras, and then they would quickly find out Emily's hiding place.

"Honestly, it doesn't surprise me that your father hired a private investigator," Nolan said thoughtfully. "It would have been too drastic to involve the police. Especially since she didn't commit a crime and wasn't abducted. She left by her own choice."

Charlotte gnawed nervously on her lower lip. "Is it really that easy to find someone who has a new identity?" She asked worried.

He hesitated before he answered. "This always depends on the situation. But sometimes people disappear forever. Especially if the relatives stop the search at some point."

"Daniel is stubborn," Charlotte sighed. "He won't give up until he finds her." She stroked a long strand of hair behind her ear. "I asked him directly why he wanted to find her. But I didn't get a straight answer. I think it just bugs him that she left him. If it was the other way around, he wouldn't care." She rolled her eyes. "She violated his honor."

"And of course he can't accept that," Nolan added. "If the press gets wind of this, that his wife left him with the child, people will ask for reasons. Sometimes they are quick to spread gossip. And not everything they claim is true." He looked at her thoughtfully. "Do you think he will turn to the press and publicly declare that Emily is Amanda Clarke in real life?"

"I don't know." Charlotte answered, shrugging. "Emily has been gone for two weeks. If he had wanted to do that, he would have done it already."

"What about David? Have you heard from him?" Nolan asked.

"No." Charlotte shook her head. "But I don't care. He is my biological father, nothing more. I'm glad I wasn't close to him when he left."

"And what about the abduction? Has your father taken any action to find the kidnapper?"

"No. My mom asked him to let it go," Charlotte replied. "The police already thinks he was abducted because someone wanted to press money from the Graysons. And it's important to her that everyone thinks that. I believe she truly loved David. Therefore, she doesn't want him to be connected with the abduction. And the police hasn't found any traces that could lead to the kidnapper. So they closed the case."

Nolan nodded contentedly. "Good. Then at least this is solved. Now about Emily..." He rose from the sofa. "After you called, I already did a research on the Internet and then made a telephone call." He grinned mischievously, then bowed to her. "In front of you is standing the new employee of the private investigation company of James Morris."

"What?" She looked at him blankly.

"I called the airport authority and introduced myself as a staff member of the investigation company," Nolan explained. "I made it urgent, so they have given me an appointment for today."

"I still don't understand..." She looked at him with a puzzled expression.

"I'm going to the airport, have a look at the footage, and then let the surveillance tape with Emily on it disappear. No one will notice."

"Can I come with you?" Charlotte asked excitedly.

"What are you going to play there? My assistant?" He raised his eyebrows amused. "No, just let me go there alone. Your face is much too familiar. I will also have to dress up. And if something goes wrong, you're out of the line. I really don't want you to get in trouble."