Surrender

Somewhere in New York

"Are you sure it's the right address?" Daniel peeked around after getting out of Nolan's car. "What a gloomy area."

Nolan nodded. "Do you think guys like him choose better areas to do their business?" He gestured along the road. "If my research is correct, then Castillo's hiding place is in a backyard, not far from here."

"I admire your investigative skills." Daniel raised his eyebrows. "How did you figure out who it was?"

"I went along with Emily's theory that Conrad's kidnappers may have something to do with the jet crash," Nolan replied patiently. "And David's reaction to the blackmailing letter underpinned my suspicion that these men might have something to do with the abduction of your mother. The guy is no stranger to the underground scene. When Emily mentioned the name, I knew right away who it was. Finding the address wasn't difficult."

"But you're not sure that Castillo really had kidnapped my mother?" Daniel asked, frowning.

"No," Nolan admitted, sighing. "I'm not 100 percent sure, but that's the most plausible explanation at the moment. And I follow this track now."

"We," Daniel corrected.

Nolan's mouth twitched. "It would have been better if you had stayed at home. These men are dangerous."

"Blablabla..." He rolled his eyes. "Tell me something new. I can't count how many times Emily and Charlotte had told me the same."

"And they are absolutely right." Nolan nodded. "I'm going in alone. You're waiting here! Did you understand that?"

"Why should it be safer for you than for me?" Daniel wanted to know.

"Because you're well known in the public eye," Nolan replied. "Everyone in this city knows who Daniel Grayson is. If you walk in there, they will take you prisoner just as they did with your mother."

"If they're the kidnappers," Daniel said.

"I'm pretty sure about that. And you know I'm rarely mistaken." Nolan raised his eyebrows, then he gave Daniel the car keys. "You're waiting in the car. If something goes wrong, we have to leave quickly."

"What are you up to?" Daniel asked curiously.

"I'm going in now and impersonate as a client. When I'm inside I'll try to get information. Of course in a subtle way. They must not know why I'm really there."

"Okay." Not really convinced by the idea, Daniel opened the car door and sat down on the driver's seat. "I'm staying in the car. How long should I wait?"

Nolan sat down next to him. "I think if I'm not back in half an hour, something went wrong."

"Very comforting to know." Daniel rolled his eyes ironically. "And then what?"

"Then..." Nolan opened the glove compartment. "Then maybe you'll need this." He pointed to the gun that was inside the compartment. "However, only for emergencies, for self-defense. If I don't come back, call the police." He saw Daniel raising a hand. "Yes, I know what was written in the blackmailing letter. But we have to inform them about it anyhow, whether or not I succeed. I'm pretty sure they won't harm Victoria as long as they don't have the money. If they kill her now, they won't get nothing. But once we know where she is, we are one step ahead of them and can make the job easier for the police."

"Well then, good luck!"

Nolan nodded and got out of the car. "Yes, I wish that, too," he muttered as he set out for Castillo's hideout with a feeling of unease in his stomach.