Rescue

Suffolk County Memorial Hospital

Informed by the police that Victoria had been freed and Nolan and Daniel had been injured while the kidnapper was arrested, Emily and Charlotte had rushed to the hospital straight away, where they now waited impatiently for news from the doctor.

"Go to your mother," Emily said, watching Charlotte pacing nervously back and forth along the hall. "I know you want to see her. And Daniel is still in the OR anyway. Who knows how long that will take?"

"Are you sure?" Charlotte looked at her skeptically. "I don't want to leave you alone now."

"That's fine. Just go. I'm just waiting here." Emily sat down in a chair.

"Thanks!" Charlotte sympathetically squeezed Emily's shoulder and then ran quickly towards the elevator to go to the ward where her mother had her room.

Emily leaned back and closed her eyes. She was not as strong as she had made Charlotte believe. When the officers told her that Daniel had been shot, she had feared for a moment to get a panic attack. She suddenly had remembered the scene when Aiden had shot Daniel down. So much blood, and then the fear that he might die! Everything had surfaced again all of a sudden, and she had felt dizzy and sick. Only with difficulty could she manage to hide her condition from the officers. Only Charlotte had known how she felt. And now she was sitting here feeling helpless because she couldn't do nothing but wait. Gently, she put her hands on her belly and suddenly noticed tears running down her cheeks.

"Mrs. Grayson?"

Someone cleared his throat, and she jumped up, startled. It was the doctor who eyed her with a worried look. "How... how is my husband?" She asked in a muffled voice, while she felt her heart beating faster in fearful anticipation.

"The good news is that he's out of danger," the doctor replied "He had lost a lot of blood because the bullet had hit a larger blood vessel on his leg. Therefore, the surgery took longer than expected. We first had to control the bleeding and then remove the bullet that was still in his thigh." He saw Emily slightly swaying and grabbed her arm. "Everything okay? It's better you sit down again." He pushed her back onto the chair.

"Yes, I... I just imagined the whole thing..." She looked at the doctor, anxiously. "Will he fully recover?"

The doctor nodded and smiled for the first time. "Yes, he will make a complete recovery. Fortunately, he was found in time, so that he could get medical treatment immediately. He really had a guardian angel."

For the second time, she thought. Back on Rebun Island and now again. "Can I see him?"

The doctor nodded. "He will stay in the intensive care unit for the next 24 hours. At the moment he is still very weak from the surgery procedure and sleeps most of the time. So it may be that he's not awake when you go inside."

"I don't care. I just want to see him for one minute." She rose again and followed the doctor until they reached the intensive care unit.

The doctor opened a door and let her enter. At Daniel's sight, pale and hooked up to an IV drip, she felt relief and horror at the same time. Carefully, she approached her sleeping husband and gently ran with her fingers through his thick, dark hair as she fought to hold back her tears. She was immensely relieved that he survived. She didn't know how she would have lived without him if he had died. Tears trickled off her cheeks as she leaned forward and gently kissed his lips. "I love you," she whispered softly and then straightened up again. "I'll be back soon." She caressed his cheek one more time before she left the room.

At the same time

Charlotte entered her mother's hospital room and then stood in the doorway for a moment as their eyes met.