Retrospection

Fairview Hospital, Cleveland

Although she had been jumpy and nervous the hours before and hadn't thought about sleeping at all, exhaustion and fatigue caught up with her and she fell asleep. When she woke up again, the sun shone through the window, and she realized that she was no longer alone in her room. "Daniel..." she whispered, only audible for her ears. He sat in an armchair next to the bed, or better, lay rather in it, his eyes closed and breathing evenly. Obviously he had fallen asleep, while he had been waiting for her to wake up, which was probably hours ago. When he was here, he apparently knew about everything, it crossed her mind. Charlotte had probably told him about the note. But she couldn't be angry with her sister. She obviously had assumed that she had suffered a miscarriage, which she had thought herself as well. And after Charlotte had already experienced such a sad fate, it was only understandable that she wanted to share the sorrows and worries with someone. But as much as she was happy that he was by her side now, she was also afraid of his reaction. The last days and hours had taken a toll on him, she could see as she looked more closely at him. Under his closed eyes, she could clearly see dark circles, and he was unshaven and uncombed. Rather untypical for him, because when he was in the public he was always styled and proper dressed. But the last hours had turned his whole life upside down. No wonder he didn't have the sense of pretentious appearance. She didn't know if she had been the trigger, but suddenly he opened his eyes and looked at her. "Hi!" She said shyly, slightly smiling. She had also expected a greeting, but he was frozen in place, just gazing at her. Slowly she straightened up and wanted to grab his hand as he shrank back as if he was afraid to burn himself. She leaned back and took a deep breath to give herself the courage to start the conversation. "Charlotte probably told you what I wrote in my note?" She began reluctantly, noting that her voice was slightly trembling. "You... you should know that I'm not..." He interrupted her before she could finish the sentence.

"Yes, I know," he said coolly, making a dismissive hand movement. "I've talked to your doctor. She informed me about everything."

Emily's eyes widened. She didn't expect that. What was that again with medical confidentiality? But perhaps it didn't pertain for spouses. "She told you... everything?"

Daniel nodded. "Everything. Including the smallest detail. Unlike you, she felt that the husband and father of the baby should also be informed about everything."

It felt like a punch to the stomach! Emily felt her cheeks flushing. She could hear the sarcasm in his tone and knew he had a right to be mad at her. Since she was in the hospital, her bad conscience had piped up more than once. "I... I didn't want to keep it a secret from you," she said hesitantly." Actually, I wanted to tell you immediately after I returned from Paris."

"Why didn't you do it?"

"I was about to tell you, but then... everything came quite differently," she sighed. "Meeting you again was so... so..." She searched for the right expression, but he interrupted her.

"A shock? Do you want to say that?" He waited for her answer.

"Yes, that too," she admitted. "But that wasn't all. I was just so happy at that moment that I didn't want to think about what you had done before."

"What I had done?" He repeated questioningly, then remembered with shame. "Oh, you mean the beach house or the empty threats regarding divorce or custody trial?"

Emily shook her head and bit her lower lip. She hadn't planned to tell him that she knew about his affair with Sara. But since he already wanted honesty, she should give it to him. "I'm talking about you and Sara," she said quietly, then lowered her head. But if she had expected him to show remorse, she got disappointed.