Chapter 40

Holy crap it's really the last chapter. Thank you guys for all of your support and the response I've gotten. I hope you all know how incredible you all are and how much I really do appreciate you. I can't believe it's really over. This is totally surreal for me. Enjoy my darlings! <3

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Chapter 40

The next few weeks passed in a blur, before I knew it, my annoying cast was gone and I was supposed to go to occupational therapy for my hand. Xavier had healed well but they warned it could take up to 6 months for him to be completely recovered and recommended he take it easy and not overdo it.

For once I was the one mothering him and telling him to take it easy. Strangely enough he was not nearly as thrilled to be on the receiving end as he was when he was the one ordering me around. Xavier and I had decided that we were going to tell everyone our plans once we were healed and the drama had subsided.

My grandparents had come and Xavier, Giovanni and I had a long talk. Chiara was presumed dead, but Chuck had helped her escape the trap she'd ensnared herself in. Paola was the daughter of a man who had no morals or scruples. Vincent had no idea what his wife was capable of nor what his daughter was involved in. I was thankful to Chuck for what he'd done. As far as I can tell, Luca is the only one who knows she's still alive living under an alias in another country. I didn't have the details and I didn't want them. Luca on the other hand was well aware. That was precisely why he'd chosen to walk away from his father's company. He wanted no part of it. As it turns out, Luca is working with a government agency, much like Xavier used to, and was helping to find and take down people like Jeremiah from the shadows and subtly. That's part of why he was always one step ahead of Chiara and tried to warn me. I understood why he couldn't come right out and say it, but still, it pissed me off. I'll keep in touch with Gio and Farrah, but I really am fine with them in my life or out of it.

It was about two weeks after Xavier and I had been given the all clear that we decided to make our move. We finished dinner and Xavier and I called Dad into his study.

"What is it?"

"Dad, we need to talk. Remember when I left for Florida a while ago and then went on an adventure with Xavier?"

Dad nodded. "Yes,"

"Well, I promised to tell you next time I go adventuring."

"You did."

"Dad, I'm planning on leaving. You're my father and nothing is going to change that, but this isn't the right life for me." I let out a sigh and hoped this speech didn't sound too practiced, even though little else had gone through my mind over the past few days. "I'm going to walk away and be done with it. I think I'd be much happier somewhere that people don't recognize my face or your name and I can work and be myself again. I love you and I'm not leaving because of you or Angelica or anything like that."

Dad nodded. "I had a feeling something was up. Xavier, are you going with her?"

Xavier nodded. "Yes sir, I love your daughter, and I'd follow her to the ends of the earth."

Dad nodded again and sighed. "When are you leaving?"

"Tonight."

"How long have you been thinking about this?"

"I've known I'm leaving since before we left the hospital. I've known since before I was back."

"I see. Where are you planning on going?"

I shrugged. "I haven't settled on a place to stay yet. We're going to travel for a bit, let everything simmer down, then find a place to settle."

"And finances?"