Chapter 22

What?  Another update?  I must be crazy!  Enjoy my darlings!  <3

This is dedicated to MGSA18 because she's an awesome fan, and I just wanted to say thank you to her!  <3

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Chapter 22 

Jessica led me off to a side room and checked something on her phone.  “Once Xavier gets the excitement settled down, we’ll go back in.” 

I nodded.  “Okay.  So, how did you have Xavier meet?”

Jessica gave me a tightlipped smile.  “He hasn’t told you?”

“No.”

She nodded.  “Then I won’t be the one to tell you.  You need to talk to him about that.”

“What the fuck is with all this cloak and dagger stuff?  Seriously, no one wants to tell me what the hell is going on!”

Jessica gave a little laugh and shook her head.  “I can’t believe how this all is turning out.”

“What do you mean?”

“Xavier is something else.  Let’s leave it at that.”

“What is he to you?”

“Someone who I’d lay my life down to save.  I trust him at my back, and I owed him a huge favor anyway.”

“What did he do that was so incredible?  Why won’t anyone tell me what he did?”

“Xavier is one of a kind.  He’s also one of the strongest, and most respected men I’ve ever met or expect to meet.  Trust him, he’ll tell you when he’s ready.  He’s saved a lot of people’s lives, but it cost him a lot too.  Give him time, he has to forgive himself for anyone else’s forgiveness to matter.”

I stared at this woman.  Xavier had a past, a sticky one from the sounds of it.  When I needed space and time, Xavier gave them to me.  Hell, the first time, I almost lost him because I needed space.  He’d been nothing but patient with me, the least I could do was return the favor.  Xavier had never given me a real reason not to trust him.  Even when I didn’t, it turned out that he was just trying to protect me.  I nodded.  “Okay.”

Jessica’s phone vibrated.  “Okay, you’ve been given the all clear.  Let’s get you back in there.”

The next dance was with my grandfather.  “You are beautiful.” Giovanni smiled the sort of smile that wrinkles your eyes.  

“Thanks, Giovanni.”

“I’m sure your mother is looking down and smiling right now.”

I felt my lip tremble.  Damn it, I missed her.  “Thanks,”

Giovanni shook his head.  “Don’t cry.  She’d be proud of you.  You are so much her daughter.  When I look at you, I see the same fire I always found in your mother’s eyes.  You are everything she’d have hoped for in a daughter.”

“You have to stop or you’re going to make me cry.” 

Giovanni smiled again.  “Of course.”

We danced in a comfortable silence then Fiore cut in.  “My aren’t you looking lovely?” Fiore purred.  “How are you doing?”

I shrugged.  “Well enough.  I little shook up.”