{ 31 | Colton }

Walking into this place, I knew bad things were going to happen. Fights were going to occur and screaming matches were bound to begin. I just never thought i'd be screaming at my own father.

Since the moment my mother found Faith and I in the foyer, she had her disgusted face on. Normally, I assumed it was because of the people she associated herself with. Some of them are jerks, but they are the wealthiest people in America. I learned to just smile and ignore whatever came out of their mouths. Today though, it seemed like it was going to be difficult, very.

"This is my son Colton." Mom introduced me as I walked into the dining room. There was a maid serving drinks. She looked terrified. I couldn't blame her. My mom could threaten your life and she will use it if need be.

"Oh my, you have grown so much." One of the older ladies said. I gave her a closed lip smile. I remembered her. She has always tried to seduce me. It was rather gross. Can't they date men their age? Plus, i'm pretty sure this one has a husband. "And who is this?"

I was about to reply but was caught off by my mother. "His school friend. She's unimportant."

"Is that so?" The older lady asked, licking her lips. I shivered in disgust. I hated being here. I always hated these fancy dinners and galas. My mother only ever used it to show off her perfect family. Speaking of, where is my father?

"Mother, where is dad?" I asked. My mom rolled her eyes and focused on the man in front of her. He had placed his hand on my mom's shoulder. I narrowed my eyes at that man. I had never seen him but you could tell he was worth a lot. The watch on his wrist explained it.

"Colton, are you alright?" Faith asked. I was holding her, not wanting to get separated. I didn't know what my mom would do to her if she was alone.

"I'm fine. Just concerned I don't see my dad." I whispered. I pulled her to a corner, wanting to get away from everyone. Their judgment radiated off them. They would never understand.

"Dinner will be served momentarily Mrs. Ashwood." A maid said. My mom waved her off. She always disrespected her help. I never thought much of it until today.

"Alright, let's have a seat." My mother demanded. All the wealthy people sat down, leaving two seats open. I frowned. One was at the head of the table, opposite of my mother. That was where dad goes. The other I assumed was for me. Knowing my mother, she forgot a seat for Faith. She probably assumed I wouldn't be bringing her.

"Mom, we need one more chair." I said politely. She narrowed her eyes at me and then rolled them when she saw I was serious.

"Catalina! We need an additional seat." My mother shouted. She then smiled at her guests. Cat walked in and set the chair beside mine. I was glad I was at least on the same side at my dad. He always made these events tolerable.

Dad hated being shown off like a priceless heirloom. Mom would always make dad fly in for whatever event was happening. He would then go back to camp. I wondered if that was where he was right now. Was he not coming to dinner?

The second course was being place in front of us. We must have missed the hors d'oeuvres. Good thing, because they're usually gross. The second course was some soup. I took my soup spoon and placed it in the bowl. I looked to my side and saw that Faith was looking around, confused.

"Grab the bigger spoon." I whispered. She nodded, dipping it into the hot liquid. I did the same, enjoying the cooking. At least the caters always had good taste.

"Colton, where are you going to school again?" A man asked. I sighed. Why was the dinner always focused on me? Why didn't they talk business? That was the only reason they ever came.