{ 23 | Colton }

Most kids adored their mothers. They looked forward to hearing them and sharing their life with them. I was not one of those kids, at least I wasn't anymore. Life went on and I changed. I love my mom, but once I hit my teens, it was as if some switch in her had changed. So, when I picked up the call, I already knew it wasn't going to end well.

"Hello mom." I stated. I turned away from the group, not wanting them to worry about me.

"My baby. I haven't heard from you in forever." She cooed. I sighed. Even though I was supposed to be mad at her, she was still my mom.

"School and soccer have kept me busy." I explained. Although that was the truth, I just didn't want her to beg me to come home. It was the one thing that had me declining all her calls.

"I know honey. So school is good?" She questioned. I already knew why she was wondering.

"Yeah. I have a 4.0 GPA." I told her. Maybe that would get her off my back.

"That's amazing! What has you excelling in school?" She asked. My smile widened as I thought of the reason why.

"My girlfriend Faith. She loves learning, so she encourages me to try harder. I owe it to her." I proclaimed.

"I see." She commented. I could hear my mother's tone shift. She knew about my usage of girls. She didn't care when I was in high school, as long as I didn't get a girl pregnant. I think she was just worried about how they may have been using me for my money. Everyone in Texas knows how wealthy we are.

"Mom, I promise you that she isn't using me for my money. She didn't even know who I was when we first met. She's from a small town in Alabama. She's amazing!" I boasted.

"What town?" Mom asked.

"Bluebell." I replied. I then heard tapping on her end of the line. I groaned. I knew exactly what she was doing.

"Faith Baxter. Only child of a divorced mom. Father is MIA. Mom worked multiple jobs and Faith did as well." She read. "They're poor Colton."

"And? Money isn't everything." I argued. I heard her scoff.

"You wouldn't last without it. This is why I wanted you to take over the company." She objected. I rolled my eyes. Not this conversation again.

"No." I spat. I took my mind off the conversation for a second to see that the group had gone inside. I quickly walked inside to see Justin waiting for me. He then gestured for me to follow him.

We walked through the house until reaching the staircase. We then climbed the stairs and walked down the hall on the right. Justin then stopped at the first door on the right. He pushed the door open and led me inside. He then gave me a small smile before disappearing back out the door. I was assuming this was my room for the weekend.

"Colton," I heard my mother say, bring me back to reality. "You need to learn the business. The value of money is important and if you continue to spend time with that Faith girl, you are going to see how she's only with you for it. I don't see why you are even with her. You never cared for relationships before."

"Mom, I love Faith. She's shy and sweet. She's sassy and smart as can be. She's amazing. She's also the most beautiful girl I had ever seen." I explained. I wanted my mom to like her. She needed to. I laid on the bed and felt myself becoming exhausted with this conversation. My energy was being drained by our arguing.

"Love Colton? Love? You have no idea what love is. You are coming home at the end of the semester. No more soccer." She demanded. My jaw dropped.

"What? Why?" I asked. I was now sitting up. Fury was beginning to pump through my veins.