Chapter Thirty Five

A.N. Grace Kelly as Older Jasmine . ^^^

·

Three years later
April 1955

Kate was stood behind the counter of the shop as she served someone with a smile. It was a quiet day for the shop, but nothing seemed out of the ordinary. But upstairs in the flat toilet, it was a completely different story.

Jasmine sat near the toilet, sipping a glass of water she had gotten herself. Being an hour late for her shift wasn't much of a big deal when she was puking up the insides of her stomach. She sat worried, as this wasn't the first time her morning had been interrupted by her having to stick her head in the toilet. It happened yesterday morning too. There were many options to point to what was causing her to be so ill, with one worrying Jasmine a bit more than the rest.

She then started to feel better, and so glanced at her watch on her wrist. She made the decision that she should get to work, so stood up and poured the remaining water in her glass into the sink before flushing the toilet. She then proceeded to wash her hands before taking the empty glass to the kitchen and putting it by the sink to wash later. She doubled checked how she looked in the mirror and headed downstairs to work.

As she came down the stairs, Kate was just finishing up serving a customer so she walked over.

"Thank you. Have a nice day." Kate smiled at her customer before he gave a wave and left the shop. As she was putting the money in the till, she noticed Jasmine come up next to her. "Oh hey. What time do you call this? I had to let Chris go for his lunch."

"I know, I'm sorry. I slept way through my alarm." Jasmine said, running her hand through her now shoulder length hair. She'd felt her long hair was such a pain to look after and style, as well as making her feel like she looked like her 17 year old self. So she got it cut in hopes she actually looked her age. She really liked it and thought it suited her better than the longer hair.

"If it was busy I'd be more annoyed than I am." Kate said, leaning her chin on the desk. She then noticed the paleness of Jasmine's skin and how she had a hand on her belly. "You okay?"

"Yeah, fine. Just feel a bit under the weather." Jasmine replied, and saw the worry on Kate's face. "I'm fine, honestly."

"You don't look it, Jas. You were the same yesterday too. Do you think you're coming down with something?" She asked, now standing straight.

"Maybe. I don't know." Jasmine rubbed her hand over her face, her energy still low from the puking up she had done.

"Jas." Kate said softly, and placed a hand on her shoulder. "Go lie down. I can handle the shop for now."

"But what if it get's busy?"

"I'll handle it."

"No. I'm fine, Kate. I just need to get working and I'll feel better." Jasmine said, taking a pile of books from the counter that people had returned.

"As long as you're sure. When Chris get's back, you can clock off for the day."

"I'll be fine, Kate. See?" She pointed to the fake smile on her face. "Already feeling better." She said before going off to find a home for the books. But Kate could see right through her and knew something was up. So she kept an eye on her for a little while.