Chapter Three

"So how do you know Mr Tumnus?" Lucy asked Jasmine as she pulled her along, their feet dragging in the deep snow. The rest of the Pevensie siblings walked behind them, occasionally playing with the snow near their feet. As they walked, Jasmine tried to identify the route they were taking, but with all the snow, it all looked the same. She felt numb over the fact she had been away for 100 years and that her own home had become unrecognizable to her.

"I met him when we were both young." Jasmine answered Lucy, keeping a tight hold of her almost cold hand. "He was always quite nice to me."

"Sounds like Mr Tumnus." Lucy smiled. "Once we get to his house he can tell us more stories and we'll have lot's and lot's of-" She paused her train of thought when she laid eyes on Mr Tumnus' front door, now kicked in instead of closed. It was obvious someone had been here, and not been very nice about it.

Jasmine followed Lucy's eyesight and gasped. "Oh no. Come on." She whispered to Lucy before the two began to run towards the house.

"Lucy, Jasmine wait!" Peter shouted from behind, running with his other siblings after them. Once they got through the front door, the true nature of what had happened was shown. The house was a mess, almost turned upside down with chairs turned over and glass broken on the floor. Jasmine knew who did this straight away and made a wild guess as to why he was taken.

"Who would do something like this?" Lucy asked, taking her hand out of Jasmine's to inspect more. Books from the bookcase were all over the floor, the fire no longer burning, allowing the coldness of outside to be felt even inside.

As she looked around, Jasmine saw a note on a wooden post and walked over to it, beginning to read it in to herself. Her heart dropped when she did.

"The faun is hereby charged with High Treason against Her Imperial Majesty, Jadis, Queen of Narnia for comforting her enemies and fraternising with humans." Jasmine read aloud, making Peter and Susan peer over her shoulders to read for themselves. "Signed Maugrim, Captain of the Secret Police. Long live the Queen."

"All right, now we really should go back." Susan said, which didn't sit well with Jasmine and Lucy.

"Are you joking?" Jasmine turned to face Susan. "Mr Tumnus has been taken by the White Witch. The same woman that took my home and practically killed it with all this snow." She motioned to outside. "I've been away for 100 years, I'm not going back."

"And it's awful that that's happened, but he was arrested for just being with a human, Jas. I don't think there's much we can do."

"You don't understand, do you?" Lucy asked. "I'm the human. She must have found out he helped me."

"Maybe we could call the police?" Peter mentioned, making Jasmine rip the note from the wall.

"These are the police, Peter." She told him, holding up the note before dropping it on the floor. From the corner of her eye, Jasmine could see Lucy quite upset, so leaned down and put an arm around her should. "Everything's gonna be okay, Lucy. We'll find him." She reassured, even though she wasn't sure if what she said was able to happen.

"Why?" Edmund asked, making everyone look to him. "I mean, he's a criminal."

Jasmine was about to argue, but a bird pssting at them interrupted her.

"Did that bird just 'psst' us?" Susan asked before Peter took the lead and walked outside to investigate, with the others right behind him. The bird then flew off, when a twig snapped near them. They stepped closer and heard a pitter patter of footsteps. Suddenly, a beaver appeared from behind a big pile of snow, making only Jasmine softly smile. Knowing a beaver was still around gave her reassurance that some Narnian's may have survived the war and continued on. Was her father part of that group though?