Chapter 16

Chapter 16.
El Tango de Roxanne.

Lydia never pictured how Beetlejuice looked like when he was still alive. She had honestly no idea if this look was an accurate one, but right now, he did look less dead than usual. Corazana had hidden his messy green hair under a purple beanie, he was wearing a simple black shirt with a jean jacket as well as pair of black pants.

"Wow, dude, you look normal," said the goth with a grin, trying to hide the fact that she was really impressed by the change.
"I don't like it," muttered the demon.
Corazana smiled, putting a little bit of blush on his cheeks with her fingers, so he would look less dead, "would you look at that? A true fashion icon."
"Stop mocking me, doll..."

The make-up made him feel weird, he scowled, Lydia burst out laughing.

"This was a fucking awful idea!"
"Hey..." Corazana put a hand on his shoulder and pressed it gently, "everything is fine, see? It's just unexpected to see you like that. Right guys?"

She turned to the Maitlands and Lydia. The teen just grinned at him, Adam rose his thumbs and Barbara gave him an encouraging smile.

"We're all cheering for you," added Adam.

"Ugh. That's just cheesy now."

Even though he did try to sound nonchalant, everyone in the room caught the little spark of emotion in his eyes.

"Are you done?" he asked Corazana as she was trying, in vain, to brush his left eyebrow with her finger.

She sight, defeated by the brow, "I'm done."

Lydia opened the front door. She and the Maitlands stayed under the porch, keeping an eye on them as they were walking to the old tree. So if anything happened, they could intervene. Mostly for the Sand-Worms situation, but also because they all noticed the few red strands in his hair. But since Corazana didn't seem to care about it, they just let it go.

The young woman stopped at the old tree, waiting for the demon. He looked down at their hands. She took his and squeezed it slightly.

"Ready?"
"I'm not sure."
"Don't you worry, I'm here."

They walked passed the tree.

Apart from a couple of old people, no one really noticed Beetlejuice downtown. Corazana bought them ice-creams. She did note that his mind was elsewhere, but she couldn't summon all her courage to start talking. They had been quiet since they left the Deetz's house. Very quiet.

"I ... There's a place I want to show you."
"Okay. What kind?"
"The kind you'll like."

He clasped her hand, interlacing their fingers.

We look like a c- ... C- ... Corazana chocked on her own breath, no, no, stop. This is madness and not the reason you brought him here.