Chapter 16: Who's The Daddy?

...
   I spoke up. "So you really gonna go after you just told me that you didn't care about what those results said?"
   "I mean...yeah. I figure if I don't Oliver will just make up the results and try to step in and play daddy. Besides no matter what that paper says baby Davis is still our baby girl." I nodded my head slowly. Kevin was making sense. "So what's up? You riding?" He asked.
I sighed and shook my head yes.
   "Looks like it. If you riding, I'm riding. We're in this together, right?"
   "Hell yeah," he nodded.
   "Aight then. Let's roll."
..
   Twenty minutes later we were walking inside the doctors office. When Lee saw me walk in behind Kevin he couldn't contain the joy on his face. "Alyssa what a surprise," he smiled. He leaned in to hug me, but I quickly backed away. Kevin clinched his jaw and stepped in front of me. Lee held his hands up in defense. "I didn't mean any harm. It's just nice to see you Alyssa. That's all." I rolled my eyes.
   "Whatever." The doctor walked out and greeted us.
   "Hello. I'm Doctor Grant. How's everybody doing?" We all claimed to be doing well. "So mom," he continued, "are you excited to find out who your child's father is?" I scoffed.
   "Oh. I already know who my child's father is. This little gathering is just to satisfy Lee's desire to still be in my life." Dr. Grant, who expected a much lighter response I'm sure, quickly changed the subject.
   "Okay. So, is everyone here?" I looked around the small room.
   "Yes sir," Kevin replied.
   "Uh. Not everyone," a voice said from behind us. I turned around and was annoyed to see Amber standing in the doorway.
   "Ugh. What is she doing here?" I said kissing my teeth.
   "Why do you think Alyssa? I'm here in support of Lee. I can't wait to find out if you're carrying my little cousin in there." She reached out to touch my belly, but I quickly smacked her hand away.
   "Don't touch me," I grimaced, "Bitch." Kevin grabbed ahold of my hand and pulled me closer to him. The doctor intervened.
   "Does anyone have any questions before I get started?"
   "Uh. Nope. I think we're good Uncle Keith," Amber replied. My neck swiveled as I looked between Lee and Amber.
   "Uncle? Are you serious?"
   "Is there a problem," Dr. Grant asked.
   "Hell yeah it's a problem—" Before I could continue Kevin pulled me to the side. "Excuse us for one second," he said over his shoulder. "Alyssa you need to calm down. I wanna get this over with," he whispered.
   "Okay. Me too, but having a relative administer and provide results for this paternity test seems hella shady. I don't trust it Kev."
   "Babe, I hear you, I really do, but for the sake of our daughter let's just get through this. We'll discuss this later. Aight?" I huffed.
   "Fine." Kevin and I rejoined the group.
   "Are you ready Ms. James?"
   "Yeah. What are the results," I said dryly. Dr. Grant opened up a manila envelope with the DNA results inside. "Okay. Let's see," he said fumbling with the papers, "It says here that Mr. Lee Grant is the father of your baby Ms. James." When Dr. Grant shook Lee's hand and congratulated him my mind went into a frenzy. Lee can't be her father. That's not right. Me and my mother both can't have babies fathered by the same man, I thought. Lee looked pleased as did Amber. I turned around and rushed out of the office. Kevin ran after me.
   "Alyssa wait. Where are you going?" I stopped and looked him in his face.
   "Kevin. He's lying. This baby isn't Oliver's baby. I know it. Something about his uncle is off." I turned towards the door so I could leave out of the building. Kevin was close on my heels. "I'm going to my doctor and she's going to give us the correct results. And when she does, we're suing all of them for falsifying and tampering with medical information. I still got a few legal teams up my sleeve. This ain't a problem they want. I can promise you that!"
...