Chapter 3: Undressing Our Love

Kevin's art show had just ended and people were beginning to swarm around him. I watched from a distance as people eagerly waited to greet him. Janelle plopped down beside me.

"Who's that girl all up in Kevin's face like that?" Janelle inquired. I sucked my teeth. "Bitch. That's Mena. The girl Kevin was talking to when we broke up." Janelle perked up and looked at me. "And you just gonna let her stand in your man's face like that? Oh hell no. Do you want me to say something to her? Cuz I'll say something to her," she said standing up. I stood up, quickly grabbing ahold of her arm, and spun her around. "J chill out. Please," I begged. "This is a really big day for Kevin and we're not gonna ruin it for him with that poppin off shit. Save that for another day." Janelle huffed. "Damn you right Lys. I'm Sorry."

I looked back in Kevin's direction and noticed him and Mena's conversation being cut short when Adrian and a few of his friends walked over. Mena pretended not to be bothered. Kevin snuck a quick glance in my direction and winked at me. I shook my head and smiled coyly at him. After catching a glimpse of our brief interaction Mena sashayed away from the guys. Kevin however, was too busy looking at me to notice. Janelle and I watched in amazement as Mena walked towards us. She stopped and stood right in front of me. "Can I help you," I asked. "I don't know why he still wants you after everything you put him through. You don't deserve him and he damn sure don't deserve your trifling ass!" Her response threw me off guard. Her words stung. I had no rebuttal. I was speechless. "Hey! You need to lay off," Janelle said standing up. "Don't be coming up here starting shit. We don't play that. Kevin don't want you and that's that. You need to let that shit go!"

"He need to let her go," Mena mumbled. Without a thought Janelle punched her in the mouth. "You need to fuckin leave you dusty ass bitch," Janelle snapped. "Oh my God! J," I said hopping up. "Nah Lys. She had that shit coming." Mena rushed off to find the nearest bathroom. I grabbed Janelle by her arm and tried to calm her down. "Janelle, the crazy bitch with the 2009 bang wrap ain't worth it." Janelle looked at me and then cracked a small smile. We both started laughing hysterically. "I can't stand you," Janelle laughed as we both sat down. Kevin and Adrian walked over to us. "Lys. J. Y'all good?" Kevin asked. I looked up at him. "We're good, but Mena's not! Janelle just fucked that girl shit up. You ain't just see her rush off to the bathroom?"

Kevin put his hand over his mouth. "Daaamn. What happened?"

"That bitch was barking up the wrong tree, but she got the right motherfucking one today," Janelle replied. Kevin and Adrian just shook their heads. "What am I gonna do with you," Adrian asked Janelle. "Love me," she said embracing his skinny frame. I laughed and stood up. "Kev you ready to go." Kevin wrapped his arm around my waist. "Yeah let's blow this popsicle stand. We'll holla at y'all later," he said over his shoulder to Adrian and Janelle. "Let's go home." From a distance Mena frowned as she watched us walk away.
..
About thirty minutes later Kevin and I pulled up to my apartment. I was so glad to be home. I got out of the car after Kevin and shut the door behind me. Kevin was propped up against the trunk of his car. I followed suit and did the same. I playfully nudged him. "Everything okay?"

He let a smile grace the corners of his lips. "Thanks for coming," Kevin said. "I really appreciate it."

"Well. You sort of twisted my arm," I laughed, "but of course, anything for you."

"Anything," he questioned with a raised brow.

I nodded my head as he moved closer to me. "Yes. Anything," I replied just before he kissed me. "Have my baby," he said in between our kiss. I laughed against his mouth and placed his hands on my belly. "I already am," I smiled. "You're a lucky man."

"No argument there," he said as he leaned in and kissed me again.

"You've been extra lovey today," I said after we pulled away. I wiped some of my lipgloss off of his lips. "Whatever's going on I like it."