Chapter 8: Our Space

...
I pulled up to my apartment with Janelle and Josh right behind me. I called Kevin's phone from the parking lot and didn't get an answer. I ended the call and sat nervously in the car. Once I finally mustered up enough courage to go inside I got out of my car and slammed the door shut. Janelle and Josh rushed out of the car and over to me.

"Lys, what are you doing," Janelle asked worriedly.

"What does it look like I'm doing," I replied as I brushed past her.

Janelle followed behind me. "Alyssa. You can't go in there. What if something happens?"

"What do you want me to do," I said turning around to face her. "Sit out here and do nothing?" Janelle opened her mouth to speak, but I continued. "The father of my child is in there. If something is wrong, which I hope it's not, I wanna know. I'm going inside."

"Fine. Then I'm going in with you."

"J, I appreciate you looking out for me, but I need you to stay out here. I'll text you if I need you, okay." I turned around and headed into the building.

When I hit the elevator button I was surprised at how quickly the doors opened up for me. It was as if it had been anticipating my arrival. I stepped in, pressed the third floor button, and sent up a silent prayer that everything would be okay. The doors dinged open and I stepped off. The walk to my apartment door, though short, felt incredibly long and nerve-racking tonight.

I unlocked the door and walked into a fairly quiet apartment. I shut the door behind me and walked slowly in the direction of the bedroom. I heard Kevin's voice and then a woman's. I quietly followed the two voices down the hallway to the bathroom. The door was ajar. I peered inside and saw Mena fussing over Kevin's shirt as he leaned back against the sink. She said something and he laughed.

Making sure not to be seen, I silently backed away from the door and scurried down the hallway towards the living room. I sent Janelle a quick text and told her that everything was fine and that both, she and Josh could go home. As I made my way back over to the front door I looked up and noticed two wine glasses sitting on the bar top counter in the kitchen. The kitchen light was dim which was how I missed it before. I quickly observed the rest of the room before reopening and shutting the door.

"Kevin," I called out. I threw my keys on the coffee table and flicked on the rest of the lights. "Hey baby," Kevin called out as I headed in their direction. Just as I turned the corner Kevin walked out of the bathroom. Mena came out a few seconds later. She grinned at me.

"You're home early," Kevin replied.

"It appears that I am."

Mena smiled at me and eagerly interjected.

"Alyssa," she said leaning on Kevin. "What a surprise. Kevie didn't tell me you'd be home so soon." She wiped her bottom lip and adjusted her blouse. Kevin stepped towards me ready to plead his case. I promptly placed my hand on Kevin's chest, encouraging him not to move another step. I turned to face Mena.

"Save the act Mena. I saw your shoes by the door, the contracts on the table, and the glass of," I pulled Kevin close to me and sniffed his shirt, "Merlot that you purposely spilled to get back the man you think you love. If there is no further business that you need to attend to here, I suggest you gather your belongings and see yourself out." She opened her mouth to give a smart remark, but I stepped forward and backed her into the wall. "I thought I was being clear," I said sternly. "Getchyo shit and get out." She looked back at Kevin in hope's that he would speak up for her. "Didnt you just hear her? You gotta go." There was nothing Mena could do but huff and storm down the hall. I followed her into the living room and waited for her to leave so I could lock up. When she was gone I turned to face Kevin. "Are you sure you didn't fuck her when y'all was together cuz the bitch act like it. She crazy!"