Chapter 7: Come Home

...
"Hey J," I said walking past her, "mind if I stay the night?"

She watched me walk by her. "No. What happened?" She asked shutting the door behind me. I sighed and looked at her. "You might wanna grab yourself some wine, maybe some whiskey, I don't know, because the shit I'm about to tell you will blow your mind."

"Well shit," Janelle said walking into the kitchen, "let me grab a wine glass and the bottle of Bordeaux your brother bought me for my housewarming." Two minutes later she came out of the kitchen and joined me on the sofa. She poured her a glass of wine and got comfortable in her seat. "Okay. I'm ready," she said taking a sip from her glass. "Spill this damn tea girl."
..
After I told Janelle everything she poured herself another glass. "Damn. I don't even know how to start this conversation off," she said, still in a state of shock. "This shit is fucked up."

I nodded my head. "I'm so mad, because I never had even the smallest doubt that this baby was Kevin's. I just know that she's his. Call it intuition or whatever, but I know I'm right." I tucked one leg under me and turned to face Janelle. "You wanna know something else? Something that I tried to explain to Kevin? Everytime we're intimate I can feel how much he really loves me. It's like he puts everything he has into it."

Janelle listened intently.

"It wasn't until I was with Kevin that I realized Oliver never gave me his all, ya know? Not in sex. Not in our relationship. Our friendship. Nothing. The night me and Kevin were together he made love to me like his mission in life was to get me pregnant. And it wasn't on no trap shit either. It was---how do I explain this?" I paused. "It was like he loved our love so much that he would give his last breath to create more of it, to create her," I said touching my belly. "And I know it seems crazy, like I'm going off just a feeling or how good the sex is, but I'm not. I promise you I'm not. It's just so much more to it than that." I started getting misty. "I'm honored to be carrying his child and he knows that," I emphasized, "which is why it's so mindboggling that he's questioning the paternity."

Janelle scooted closer to me and gave me a hug. "I love the love that y'all have for each other and on that aunt Jo shit," she laughed, "he gon' come to his senses. He's just a little overwhelmed by all this new information. Don't stress it mama." I hugged Janelle back. "Thanks J." Janelle squeezed me tight. "Don't mention it."

She tapped me on my leg and stood up. "So you're good?"

I nodded my head and smiled. "Yeah I'm good, J."

"Good, because now I need you."

I pulled Janelle back down to the couch with me. "What's up J? What's going on?"

"Me and Adrian broke up," she blurted out. My eyes grew wide. "What? When? What happened?"

"We've actually been broken up for three months," she winced. "It was around the time I was moving in here."

"What? Why didn't you tell me?" I asked concernedly.

"Well," she shrugged. "At the time I was completely caught off guard and needed time to adjust. I just wasn't ready to admit that he broke up with me."

"Wow," I uttered softly. "Y'all were so perfect together."

Janelle shook her head. "We weren't. We definitely had our issues, but still, I didn't think it was anything that would lead to this."

"Aw. J. I'm so sorry."

"Don't be. We're still good friends. I mean you saw us at the gallery. We just ran our course," she shrugged before taking a sip of wine.

I looked at her and the glass of wine in her hand. "Are you sure it didn't have anything to do with, I don't know," I shrugged, "that bottle of Bordeaux?"

Janelle sat the glass down and looked at me.

"Wassup Bitch," Josh said walking into the living room. "What does Bordeaux have to do with their breakup?"

"Josh where the hell did you come from?"

"From her room. I had to take an important call," he said plopping down on the couch beside me. "So what about this Bordeaux?"

Before I could speak Josh cut me off. "Oh. Wait." He turned to look at Janelle and raised his brow. "Who bought you the Bordeaux?"

I smiled and interjected. "Terrance did. It's the only wine he likes."

Janelle blushed a little. "How'd you know?"

"Terrance don't think I know, but I know," I grinned. "I pay attention to detail, which is why when you said "Bordeaux" and "brother" in the same sentence my ears perked up."

"Oooo. You gotta thing for Terrance?" Josh teased.

"No," Janelle laughed. "He just bought it for my housewarming."

"Mmhm," Josh said side-eyeing her.

"What," she smiled. "I'm serious. I don't even see Terrance like that. He's just my best friends brother."

"Who you fucked?" Josh asked hopefully.

"No," Janelle blushed.

"But you want to," Josh said with a raised brow.

"Josh stop," she said playfully shoving him. "Ade and I's break up had nothing to do with me or Terrance, okay? Just trust me."

"So you not gonna tell us why y'all broke up," Josh prodded.

"No. So stop asking," she teased.

"You and Terrance would look good together," I encouraged. "I ship it."

Janelle sucked her teeth and laughed. "Lys stop. That will never happen."

"Never say never sister-in-law," I winked.

Janelle burst into laughter and playfully shoved me. "You play too much."

My phone rung. It was Kevin. Josh picked it up and answered it.

"Hey Kev. Yeah, she's here. Hold on." Josh handed the phone to me. "It's for you."

I made a face at Josh and took the phone from him. I stood up and headed back into Janelle's bedroom.

"Hey," I said softly into the phone.

"Hey baby. Can you talk? I won't be long."

I sat down on Janelle's bed. "Yeah."

"Lyssa," Kevin started, "I'm sorry about earlier. You were right. I want you to come home."

"Kevin," I started.

"Alyssa please. Don't fight with me. Just come home. It'll be getting late soon and
I'm not sleeping alone tonight. Come home," he begged.

Something in me twinged. "Okay. I'll be home soon."

"No matter what, you know I love you."

"Of course baby. I know that. I love you too," I said soothingly. "See you in a few." There was something in Kevin's voice that unsettled me. I hung up the phone and headed back into the living room to join Janelle and Josh.

"Hey Lys. Everything okay," Janelle asked.

"Kevin apologized and he wants me to come home."

"So why don't you look happy?"

I shrugged my shoulders. "I don't know. Something was off about the phone call. It sounded more urgent than apologetic. I'm actually kinda worried."

"You want us to go with you," Josh asked. "We can follow behind you and make sure everything's good."

"Really," I said feeling a little relieved.

"Of course," Janelle encouraged. "Let me get my keys." Janelle and Josh grabbed their things and followed me out the door.

As I drove back home I silently prayed that everything would be okay.
...