Chapter 2: The Boy Is Mine?

"Lyssa," Kevin called out to me from the living room.

"What!"

"You ready?"

"Yeah. I'm coming," I said grabbing my purse and phone. "You better be," I heard him say.

I walked out into the living room and plucked the back of his neck
"Don't be a smart ass. Let's go."

"I'm driving?" Kevin questioned once we were outside.

"Duh. You invited me," I teased. Kevin playfully mushed my head. "Getcho ass in the car."

"I'm going. I'm going," I said as I opened the car door. "Geesh. Who knew you were so bossy?"

"I learned from the best," Kevin winked as he put on his seatbelt. He shifted the car into drive.

"Whatever," I smiled. "What time is the opening?"

"3:30," he said focusing on the road. "I heard it looks real good in there."

"Why is it so early? Don't they usually open in the evening?"

"Well it's my understanding that an event has been scheduled for this evening, so they decided to push up the time of the opening."

"Are all of your artsy friends gon' be there?"

"One or two might be in attendance," he said looking over at me. "Why? Were you hoping that I would spend all my time with you?" Kevin grinned. "Kev stop playing with me," I laughed as I playfully pushed him away from me. "Were you," he questioned a little more seriously. I shifted my position in my seat and faced him. "Maybe," I said running my hand through his hair. "It has been a while since we just---ya know," I grinned. Kevin raised his eyebrow. "Since we what? Hung out," he replied, a grin slowly teasing his lips. "Yeah. Since we hung out." I caressed the back of his neck and kissed his earlobe softly. "Girl don't make me pull this car over," he joked. I pulled away and laughed. "You stupid!"

"I'm just saying. Shit could possibly go down."

"Hm. I wish it would," I grinned.

Kevin laughed and put his hand on my leg.

"Oo. Don't tempt me with a good time and then don't follow through," I said sliding his hand further up my thigh.

Kevin looked at me in playful disbelief. "Nuh unh. Cut that shit out right now. We ain't startin nothin."

"Keviiin," I whined.

"Don't Kevin me. I said what I said," he said trying not to smile.

"Fine, be that way," I said turning back around, "but I won't make it easy."

"I don't expect you to," he said licking his lips.

"It sounds like you're up for a challenge," I winked.

"Alyssa stop trying to seduce me. It's not happening."

"You wanna bet," I grinned.

"No. We not doing this. I'm off limits remember?"

"Damn. Suddenly I can't hear," I joked.
Kevin shook his head as he pulled into the gallery parking lot. "I can't believe you."

"What I do," I asked as he parked.

"You don't listen."

"I do listen. You said even though we're "friends" you still want me."

"No Alyssa that is not what---"

I opened up the car door. "Oh tonight, it's on," I winked.

"What. No. Nothing's on," Kevin groaned.

"See you inside baby daddy." I got out of the car and laughed. "I fucking love him," I smiled to myself.

I walked inside with Kevin trailing not too far behind me. As soon as he came in he was spotted by some of the other artists that he knew and became instantly wrapped up in conversation with them. I continued to walk through without him. The gallery was absolutely breathtaking and by far one of the biggest ones that I had been to. I walked around and looked at all the paintings. The more I walked around the more I got lost in the art. When I wasn't expecting it Kevin came up behind me and wrapped his arms around my waist.

"So this is where you snuck off to. I was wondering where you went," he said in my ear. I reached behind me and wrapped my arm around his neck as he held me close. "You were looking for me," I grinned. "Yes and I have a confession to make." I turned around to face him. "And what's that?" I wrapped both arms around his neck. "I invited you here for sort of a selfish reason." I raised my eyebrow. "Oh really?" He smiled down at me. "I invited you to tag along, because I have an art show here tonight and I'm only at my best when you're with me. And ya know--- it's just really important to me that I share this moment with you."

"Oh my goodness! Kev! That's amazing," I beamed. I embraced him warmly. "You never have to convince me to come out. You know I'll always support you."

"You right," he said stroking my cheek with his finger. "Thank you for always having my back, beautiful."

"Don't mention it," I grinned as Kevin leaned in to kiss me.

"Well, well, well. What do we have here," I heard a familiar voice say. Janelle folded her arms and grinned in our direction. "J, what are you doing here," I questioned. "I came with Ade." Janelle looked between us. "Friends huh," she smiled, "Sure." I laughed and buried my face into Kevin's chest. "It's about time," she winked before walking away.

Me and Kevin looked at each other and laughed. "Alright. I gotta get out there and do my thing."

"Good luck."

"I don't need it when I have you cheering me on," he winked. I found myself blushing. "Meet me after?" He asked.

"Of course," I said kissing him on the cheek. "You'll do great tonight."

Kevin smiled. "Thanks Lys," he said as he made his way to the front.

The moment Kevin was out of eye sight a petite, brown skin woman approached me. "Excuse me. Alyssa right?"

I looked at her a little skeptically. "Yes. Do I know you?"

"No, but you're about to. My name is Mena."

"Aw hell," I thought to myself. "This bitch." I remembered Kevin mentioning her, but didn't lead on that I did.

She continued. "Me and Kevin are getting back together so stay out of my way!"

I smiled at her. "Hi Mena. I don't give a fuck," I said extending my hand with a smile. "Nice to meet you."

She sized me up. "I don't know what he told you about me but--"

I cut her off. "Uh. He's never brought you up meningitis. I guess you weren't worth mentioning."

"It's Mena," she snapped, "and he's mine."

"Oh," I said taking a step back. "Does he know that," I smirked.

She ignored my question and glared at me. "I hope you're not afraid of a little competition cuz I'm getting Kevin back whether you like it or not."

"You can't take what was never yours. It's cute that you wanna try though," I said as I turned to walk away. "Enjoy the show," I said over my shoulder, "I know I will."