Chapter 13: Cutting Ties

...
When I got to my mom's house I wasted no time bombarding her at the front door. "Alyssa. What are you doing here," she asked blocking the door. "I came here for the truth," I said pushing past her. As I walked fully inside I was met with a number of strange faces. "Who are all of these people?" I said turning to her. She quickly pulled me to the side. "These are the members of the board of your father's new art organization, members that I actually need to get back to, so if you would excuse me---"

"No. I need to talk to you right now," I said turning her back around to face me. "Alyssa, look I'm glad you're finally coming around and want to talk to me, but now is really not the time. Could you come back another time?"

"We might not have another time," I said with tears in my eyes. "What," she asked worriedly. I looked up at her. "Are you and Oliver in a relationship and is Ángel his son?"

"Um. Alyssa," she said with tears welling up in her eyes. "Who tol---"

"Yes or no," I said through clenched teeth. I stood still and waited for her to deny it. My heart sunk when she didn't. "Yes," her voice trembled. "I'm so sorry," she broke down. "Please don't tell Nicky."

"This is unbelievable," I muttered. "This was the last thing I expected from you." My eyes began to well up. "I didn't think it was possible, but you have truly outdone yourself."

"Alyssa. You---you don't understand I---"

"I don't wanna hear it ma. I can't trust aything you say," I said with tears running endlessly down my face. "I feel--- so sorry that Ángel is stuck with a mother like you. He doesn't deserve to be raised in this kind of dysfunction. He deserves better. Hell, we all do. Dad, Dominic, Ángel, me. How could you do this to us?"

"Alyssa, I am so sorry," she sobbed. "I'm so sorry."

"Yes. You are." I watched bitterly as my mother weeped in front of me. The woman who I had admired for most of my life had now become someone that I couldn't stand to even be around. "I don't want anything to do with you. I mean it. Stay away from me. Stay away from Kevin. You aren't invited to my babyshower or wedding or college graduation. Nothing. You have taken so much from me and made me into a person that I didn't recognize, but not anymore. I won't have you attached to any part of my joy. This relationship is dead."

"No. Alyssa, don't do this," she pleaded. "Please. Don't shut me out. Alyssa." She tried to grab ahold of me, but I shrugged her away.

"I'm gonna go upstairs to see my little brother before I leave. Consider this the last time you see me." I brushed past her and walked upstairs to Ángel's nursery. When I walked in he was in his crib sleeping peacefully. I gently stroked the top of his head. The longer I looked at him the more my heart broke. I felt so sad for him. He was the only innocent one in all of this. I leaned down and kissed the top of his head. Watching him sleep, he truly was an angel. "Goodbye my sweet angel," I whispered to him, "your sister, Alyssa loves you." I walked out of the room and quietly shut the door behind me. As I headed towards the steps a familiar voice called out to me. "Lys, what are you doing here?" I turned around and was greeted by Lee.

I scoffed in disgust. "So what you live here now?"

"No. I was here visiting my son," he said matter-of-factly.

"How could you do this to me?"

"Everything isn't about you Lys," he huffed.

"Yeah, I know that Lee, but this is. One day you were gonna marry me and then the next you're sleeping with my mom?"

"You broke up with me remember? And that ain't how it happened, a'ight?"

"It doesn't matter. It still don't make it right, Lee. I mean, we were engaged. You met my family. Everyone loved you, even my dad and you just---" I shrugged my shoulders, "what? Thought that it would be okay to sleep with my mom? Like were you secretly pining after her while we were together? Like, how the hell did this happen?" Oliver opened his mouth to speak. "Don't answer that," I said cutting him off.

"Look Alyssa, I understand that you're mad and rightfully so, but I ain't going nowhere. I love your mom."

My mouth hung open. "Hello. Are you stupid? She gon play you just like she played the rest of us. Don't fall into the hype of good pussy. You gon' end up with your lil feelings hurt."

"Man get out of here with that. I'm a grown ass man. Ain't nobody trynna hear that dumb shit. I know how to handle her."

I looked at him frustratedly and decided that it was time for me to go. "You know what, I need to leave. I'm done looking at you and I'm done talking about this ghetto ass Jerry Springer shit." I swiftly moved passed Lee and rushed down the steps. When I got to my car I felt mentally drained.
..
I was halfway home when Kevin called.

"Hey baby! Where you at?"

"Hey. I'm on the road. I just left my mom's house about thirty minutes ago."

"I'm sorry. You what?"

"Yeah, you heard me."

"Whatchu go over there for?"

"Babe," I huffed, "you ain't gon' believe this. I had time to sit with it and I still don't believe it."

"Believe what? Tell me."

"Okay." I took a brief pause. "The reason why my mom was able to convince Oliver to sabotage our relationship was because she was sleeping with him." Kevin was silent on the other end of the phone.

"Hello. Babe you still there?"

"I'm here. I'm, I'm just in shock," he said.

"Well, hold on to your britches, because as it turns out Dominic is not the father of Ángel. Lee is."

"Yo. Babe. Stop playing with me. Are you freaking serious?"

"I couldn't make this up if I wanted to," I huffed. Suddenly another wave of sadness hit me again. "I am---so heartbroken." My voice trembled as tears began to well up in my eyes again. "And I feel betrayed and I am so sorry for cheating on you," I cried. "You didn't deserve any of that," I sniveled. "Aw. Baby don't cry. I don't hold that against you. Pull over, aight," Kevin said concernedly, "I don't want you to get into an accident." I wiped my eyes. "I'm good. I'm good. I'm almost home. I promise."

"Good," he said softly. "Get home in one piece, okay. I'll be waiting for you."

"Okay," I sniveled. "See you soon."
..
When I got home Kevin was waiting for me on the couch with my favorite blanket and warm chamomile tea. I kicked my shoes off at the door, placed my things down, and walked over to Kevin. He opened his arms up to me and motioned for me to sit in his lap. When I did he wrapped the plush blanket around me and kissed my forehead. "I love you," I said looking up at him. Kevin pecked my lips. "I love you too."

After a few minutes I spoke up. "Kevin?"

"Yeah?"

"The gallery hunt isn't going well."

"Don't worry about it."

"What do you mean, don't worry about it? I'm going to worry about it. This is your career we're talking about. I made you a promise."

"I mean," he grinned, "you made good on your promise. I got an offer from Mad House Art Gallery and it's all because of you!"

"What," I beamed. "They called back! When did this happen!"

"They called earlier. About an hour after you left."

"What! Why didn't you call me!" I squealed.

"I wanted to see the look on your face when I told you," he grinned. "Babe. Thank you so much for everything."

I wrapped Kevin in a big hug. "Oh my goodness. Congrats baby. I am so proud of you." I wiped my eyes. "This makes everything we've gone through worth it. Oh my goodness. I'm so proud of you," I repeated again. I couldn't stop smiling.

"You said everything was gon be okay," Kevin said smiling up at me, "and now look. I got an offer."

"You got an offer," I repeated as my lips inched closer to his. "Yeah, I did," he mumbled against my mouth. When we pulled away from one another we couldn't stop grinning. Nothing could top this joy. Nothing.