fourteen

While looking at myself in the bathroom mirror, I couldn't remember the last time I was getting ready for a night out. Hell, I couldn't remember the last time I was getting ready for a date, and honestly, I didn't think I'll have to do it for a long time.

Hayley is really nice, she really is... But I just find it hard to let go, to try and give her a chance.

I pressed my phone to check the time, realizing I only have 15 more minutes till Hayley will get here to pick me up.

I opened the tap and washed my face, slowly drying it with a towel. Get it together. You can do this. I kept reminding myself as I started to do my makeup.

So yeah, maybe Berry had a point. Maybe trying to work things out with Hayley will be the first step to recovery.

After exactly 15 minutes, a knock could be heard on the door. That's just how Hayley was, always on time. Unlike Dani, who was too messy to even get places on time, Dani was always late...

"Hayley!" I heard Rachel squeal. "Oh you look so good."

"Thank you." I could hear Hayley laugh. She had this cute gentle laugh, but nothing will ever be compared to Dani's loud and contagious one.

Stop it Santana. I reminded myself. Let go.

"So... Is Santana here or did I scare her away?"

"Oh she-"

"I'm here." I said, stepping out of my room before Berry will have the chance to finish her sentence. "Hey." I smiled, walking closer towards them.

"Hey." Hayley smiled back.

"Umm... You do look good." I said quietly.

"Thank you." Hayley laughed again. "You look fantastic."

"Okay girlfriends," Rachel cut our awkward conversation. "Have fun. Don't feel the need to bring her back early." Rachel said to Hayley, making me just roll my eyes.

"Let's go." I spoke quietly, but mostly because I couldn't stand Berry any longer. I placed my hand on the small of Hayley's back and lead us outside.

She was a skinny girl, way skinnier than Dani. It felt weird wrapping my arm around her, feeling the feeling of a different girl against my skin, a girl who isn't Dani.

We reached the street and I could spot Hayley's car right away. I was about to walk toward it, when I felt a hand pulling me back. I turned around confused to look at Hayley, to which she only replied with a small smile.

"Look, Santana." She started, making me turn around fully to her. "I like you. A lot. I know this may be too soon for you and I don't know what happened in your last relationship but.. the last thing I want is to make you uncomfortable." She said, slowly grabbing into my hand. "I'm sorry about Rachel getting pretty annoying up there."

I laughed. Yeah, she has no idea how annoying that dwarf can be.

"I'm willing to take it slow tonight. I really just want us to have fun, okay?" She said, intertwining our fingers.

I smiled again with a nod of my head. "Okay, thank you."

Yes, Hayley was indeed special. I just hope my heart can really let go, like my mind tells me to.

We got into the car and started the not so long drive. The radio was on, which helped to ease the awkward silence around us. It was nice at first, but then Californiacation by Red Hot Chilly Peppers came on, and I felt my heart sinking to my stomach.