thirteen

*

"Did you get everything you need?" Dani asked,
helping Eleanor put her backpack on.

"Mhm." Elie nodded.

"Okay, I think we're ready." Dani said, looking at me. I nodded my head too and grabbed my purse.

"Come on, we gotta head to the airport." I said. Dani held onto Elie's hand, heading with her toward the door, while grabbing onto Elie's suitcase on the way out. "Hey, no," I said, quickly, grabbing onto the suitcase myself. "I'll take that."

Dani gave me a weird look. I just shrugged, pushing them two outside and locking our apartment door behind us.

We took the subway and then took the bus, all the way to the airport. Dani didn't leave Elie's hand all the way over there, but that was cute.

Sadly, Elie's flight was being called and it was time to say goodbye.

"Okay," I said, bending in front of Eleanor and pulling her small body to a hug. "It was a blast meeting you Elie, I'm gonna miss you."

"Me too, Tana." She said, hugging me back with her small hands. I smiled into our hug, planting a small kiss on the top of her head before separating from our hug and giving Dani the chance to say goodbye.

She bend down in front of Elie, even though she was shorter than her that way, and for a minute just admired her look. She placed both of her hands on Elie's cheeks, caressing them, before wrapping them around her body and pulling her closer. "We will meet again." Dani whispered, but I could still make that out.

"Promise?"

"I promise." Dani said, caressing Elie's dark locks of hair. "I wish I could come see you more often, but-"

"Don't." Elie said. "You are happy here. You need to stay here."

Dani pulled away and smiled at her, giving her nose a small kiss as she nodded her head. "Stay safe, okay? Call me as soon as you land."

Elie nodded her head, pulling Dani to one last hug before she will really have to go, and God knows for how long this time.

"I love you little bug." Dani whispered, planting a loving kiss on the top of her head.

"I love you too." Elie said, kissing her cheek.

Elie's flight was being called again, and it was time for her to aboard the plane. She waved at us one last time, before the staff member closed the metal doors and she was out of sight.

We waited on the waiting area till we saw her plane take off. I heard Dani sigh as she stood up, giving me her hand to take.

I gladly took it, but didn't let her to really lift me up. She looked up at me, with this sad smile on her face, just like mine, before walking into my embrace, where I wrapped her up in my arms and pressed her head to my chest. "I'm gonna miss her so much."

"She will come again, we will make sure of that." I said, and Dani nodded.

She walked further into me, and I knew she just wants me to hold her tighter, but I just couldn't.