Chapter 29: All I Want...

Then

Daryl's POV

I huddle in my room, waiting for the inevitable return of my dad. Merle's gone again, but I should expect that from him by now.

I pull out a little piece of paper, looking at the little drawing I just scribbled. It's supposed to be me; me when I'm older and away from this hell hole I'm living in. As far as I know, no other kid goes through the things I do.

I'm no good at drawing, but I know what the picture means. It's me holding a girl's hand, and we're both smiling. Specifically, it's the strange little girl who saw my house burning down. I don't know her name, but I know she wanted to know if I was okay. She asked Tommy about it.

That's what I want when I'm older. I want a girl to be nice like her, even though she said she was only six and I'm eleven.

The door slams and I jump, immediately feeling terror course through my veins.

"Daryl! Where are you?" I hear my dad's voice call angrily.

I whimper and look for a hiding spot. There's next to nothing in my room, so that won't help.

My dad appears at my door, a half-empty beer bottle still in his hands. He stares at me with absolute disgust.

"Where's your lazy ass brother?" he demands, grabbing the front of my shirt and balling it up in his fist.

"He's gone. I don't know where he is," I lie. I know Merle left a while ago.

He smacks me on the side of the head, causing me to wince. He growls, tossing me to the floor.

"You're a lyin' son of a bitch." His eyes find my drawing, which has fallen to the floor. I scramble for it, but he gets it first, kicking me out of the way. "What's this?" His voice slurs.

"Nothin'," I mumble, grabbing for it.

He laughs darkly and holds it up. "Looks like you and some girl. You want your own bitch?"

"No!"

He grabs my arm, his grip bone crushingly tight on my arm. His rank alcohol breath washes over my face, and I choke back a whimper.

"Don't you lie to me boy. You think a girl will love you one day," he says, dragging me out to the living room as I struggle. "Give that up. You're just a scrawny ass pussy who can't stand up for himself. A skank wouldn't love you."

"I...I..."

The beer bottle smashes against the back of my head, and I cry out in pain as the remnants of the drink soak my shirt. I back away from my dad, but he keeps coming, his fists balled.

"Time to remind you what you're really worth," he growls as I screw my eyes shut.