Chapter 44: Useless

The next day goes by slowly. Daryl and I listen to music and read, also taking time to explore the neighbourhood.

I'm starting to feel bored, honestly. Daryl's talk of how the community feels like a cage is starting to make sense.

Glenn, Tara, and Noah are taken on a run with Deanna's son, Aiden, and Nicholas. We hear the gates opening as they return, but then the sound of their raised voices break through the calm quiet of Alexandria.

"You tied up walkers," Glenn says to Aiden.

"It killed our friend!" Aiden snaps. "Look, I'm not having this conversation. You obey my orders out there."

"Then we're just as screwed as your last run crew."

Daryl and I gather with some other Alexandrians, and I can see Eugene and Maggie coming.

Aiden moves closer to Glenn, his teeth gritted. "Say that again."

"No, back off, Aiden," Tara says.

Aiden shoves Glenn a little.

"Come on, man. Just take a step back," Noah says as Aiden pushes him again.

"Come on, tough guy," Aiden taunts.

"No one's impressed, man," Glenn whispers. "Walk away."

"Aiden! What is going on?" Deanna demands as she races to the scene.

"This guy's got a problem with the way we do things," he says. "Why did you let these people in?"

"Because we actually know what we're doing out there," Glenn says.

Aiden swings, but Glenn dodges it and knocks him down easily. Nicholas reacts and rushes at him, but Daryl rams into him and pins him to the ground.

"Aiden, no! That's enough!" Deanna calls.

"Daryl!" I exclaim, moving towards him.

"I said that is enough!" Deanna keeps trying to calm everyone down.

"Whoa, whoa! Hey, hey, hey!" Rick calls, grabbing onto Daryl. "Let's not do this now."

Aiden advances to him and I step forwards, making him bump into me. I keep my feet planted firmly, glaring at him.

"You want to end up on your ass again?" I hiss, hand on my knife.

Rick pulls Daryl away and pushes him back, and Michonne moves to block Aiden while I go to my husband.

"Daryl, please calm down," I plead as he paces back and forth, shooting daggers at Deanna's son. "Daryl."

He pants heavily, still trying to move past Rick and I. Nicholas coughs and stares at us.

"I want everyone to hear me, okay?" Deanna calls. "Rick and his people are part of this community now in all ways as equals. Understood?"

There's a long silence, and Aiden lets out a forced laugh.

"Understood," he mutters.

"All of you, turn in your weapons," Deanna commands. "Then you two come talk to me." She points to her son and Nicholas.

They turn and storm away. Rick moves away from Daryl, who still doesn't look at me.

"Daryl, you didn't need to-" I start.

"Yeah, I did," he snaps.

"I told you I had a job for you," Deanna says to Rick. "I'd like you to be our constable. That's what you were. That's what you are." She looks to Michonne. "And you too." She smiles at Rick. "Will you accept?"

"Okay." Rick nods.

"Yeah, I'm in," Michonne agrees.

Daryl scoffs and turns away, grabbing his crossbow and storming off down the road. I follow him, concerned.

"Daryl? What the hell is wrong?" I demand.

"Nothin'."

I make an annoyed noise in my throat. "Stop that."

"What?"

"Stop telling me that you're ok! You're not!"

He doesn't stop walking, and I speed up and jump in front of him.

"Daryl, stop."

He listens, adjusting his crossbow. "I'm useless, Hope."

"That's also a lie."

"No, it ain't. Everyone here has a purpose, and that bitch sits there and just...tries to figure me out." He grimaces, but his eyes seem to spark with pain. "I've been the second-in-command since Shane died...and now Rick doesn't need me anymore. You don't need me anymore."

My mouth falls open a little. "No...Daryl, that's not true. I need you."

"You're completely happy without me." He brushes past me, keeping his head down. "No one needs a redneck asshole messin' up their perfect little community."

I spin, speeding up and grabbing his wrist. He jerks to a stop.

"I need you like I need air to breathe," I whisper. "Don't you dare say anything like that...Don't believe a damn thing you're telling yourself right now."

He looks back at me, and I swallow the lump growing in my throat. I just want to help him...but I don't know how.

"I'm just-" His voice breaks a little.

I hug him tightly, squeezing my eyes shut. "Please...just don't. I don't want you to be sad anymore."

"Hope..."

"You've never been useless, and you aren't now. You're going to be the last man standing," I insist. "Rick isn't throwing you away. Trust me..."

He sighs, pulling away from my embrace. "I do trust you."

I smile sadly and brush his bangs from his eyes. "Good."

I press a kiss to his lips, taking his rough hand in mine.

----------

The day passes slow, but night comes and we settle down to relax before we sleep. Daryl and I sit on the porch, looking at the stars and the moon. I point out Orion, the Big Dipper, the Little Dipper, Canus Major and Minor, and Gemini. He listens intently, his thumb rubbing circles on my palm.

Rick walks out of the house in a new police uniform, and I smile at him. He smiles back, looking to Daryl.

"We good?" he asks.

"Yeah," Daryl replies. "You a cop again?"

Rick sighs. "I'm trying it on for size."

"Officer Rick is back," I whisper. "Haven't seen you like this since Atlanta."

He nods. "It's certainly a change."

"So...we're stayin'?" Daryl asks.

"I think we can start sleeping in our own homes. Settle in," he responds. "You two can have your own Dixon household."

"If we get comfortable here, we let our guard down," I say slowly. "We can't let this place make us weak."

"Carl said that. But it's not gonna happen." Rick moves to the railing, looking out at the sky. "We won't get weak. That's not in us anymore. We'll make it work." He looks back at us. "And if they can't make it, then we'll just take this place."