Chapter 53: Replay

A week or so passes. Daryl spends most of his time fixing up his new bike at Aaron's place. I go to the medical centre, where it's usually only Elliot showing up nowadays. Pete showed up for the first day to train me and then...disappeared.

Early this morning, I head to the gates, where I know Daryl and Aaron are preparing to go find more people. My heart feels like it's beating into my throat and my stomach feels queasy; not because of morning sickness.

Daryl sits on the bike near the gate, decked out in his leather vest and jacket. Aaron packs a few more supplies into his car and I wave to him as I pass.

"Daryl!" I call.

He turns on his bike at the sound of my voice. He pushes the kickstand down and climbs off, moving towards me. I wrap my arms around him, moving up on my tiptoes so I can keep him closer. His arms surround me, his breathing soft in my ear.

"Promise me you'll come back," I whisper, my voice strained.

"I promise," he murmurs.

I cup his face in my hands and pull him into a fierce kiss, my fingers tangling lightly in his hair.

He's gone on runs before, I know that. True, I've always been concerned for his return, but now that he's going to be a dad, the want for him to stay safe makes me even more anxious. I can't stand the thought of losing him.

He breaks away for a breath, smirking lightly as he presses his forehead against mine.

"You never worried like this before," he comments.

I shut my eyes tightly. "I have my reasons."

He gives me one more soft kiss. When he pulls away, he touches his fingers to my chin lightly.

"Keep your head up a'ight, angel?" he asks, staring into my eyes.

I lose myself in the deep blue depths, the way I always do, and nod.

"I love you, Daryl," I say.

"I love you more, Hope."

He turns and strides to his bike. The gate slides open as he revs the engine and they pull out with a familiar roaring sound. I move to the gate, watching them disappear into a cloud of dust. The gate slides shut before me, blocking the view of my beloved redneck.

I turn and head down the road, becoming bored. Buttons will probably need a run later, Elliot told me he doesn't need a lot of help over at the clinic today, and I just feel...

Restless?

Bored?

Both, I conclude.

I kick a rock with the toe of my boot, thumbs hooked in my belt loops. For a moment, I consider asking Deanna if I can go on the run with Glenn and the others to a warehouse. The energy grid is shorting out and we need supplies to repair it.

Then I remember that I have "a condition", as she calls it.

Yeah, because carrying a six week old fetus around in my uterus is a serious medical condition that requires me to become completely and utterly unable to do a thing for myself or do anything remotely fun.

"Whoop-dee-doo," I mutter.

I move to Buttons' fence and sit down on a nearby log. I look down at my lower stomach, pursing my lips.

"So, while you're getting little arms and legs, mommy's getting extra bathroom breaks and mood swings." I sigh and rub my stomach. "Mommy still loves you."

Buttons trots over and whinnies, snuffling my hair. I stand up and stroke his nose, smiling lightly.

"Hey boy. How are you?" I ask. I deepen my voice and pretend the horse is talking. "Fine thanks. I'd really like to go for a run. Can we do that?"

I groan and smack my head on the fence post, earning a concerned snort from Buttons.

"Ugh, I'm a horse ventriloquist now. Wonderful." I tie my hair back. "Sorry Buttons. My emotions are all over the place."

He nickers softly in response. I fed him this morning, so he's got a lot of energy and is ready to run.

I saddle him up and grab his reins, leading him from the fence. I stop by the gun storage building and sign out my pistol. I smile politely at Olivia, the woman working there, and holster it.

I climb on Buttons and ride the rest of the way to the gate. After a quick explanation of where I'm going and why, they slide it open and I take off.

Buttons gallops smoothly across the road, the wind whipping my hair in to a knotted mess. I urge him towards a fence and he leaps over it. We keep loping across the field, the tall grass brushing my calves as we go by.

I slow Buttons down a little as we head into the denser trees. We move easily through the trees, the sunlight streaming through the leaves. For a moment, it's like the world never ended. Everything is peaceful and serene.

Buttons snorts and munches at the grass. I don't stop him. Instead, I lean back on the saddle and let my face catch some sunlight.

I grab the reins and kick his side gently, spurring him to walk again. We go across another field, seeing a few walkers nearby. I turn the horse immediately, leading us a different way. We come across a small clearing within the woods where a deep ravine can be seen below.

It's a lovely sight.

A growl sounds right next to us as a walker appears from the trees. I grab my pistol and shoot it without a second thought.

The shot startles Buttons, making him rear up and buck me off. I tumble off his back and go flying into the ravine. I fall, the grass and the sticks poking and cutting into me as I pick up speed.

Then, the ground flattens and I land hard, promptly getting the wind knocked out of me. I feel something warm trickle down the side of my head as I blink a few times. My entire head and body aches, my tailbone especially. My vision is blurry, the rays of sunlight radiating through the trees like laser beams.

Far above me, I can hear the galloping of Buttons' hooves as he flees the scene. I shut my eyes, unable to move or think.