Chapter 48: I Can't Lose You

Inside the house, we eat the spaghetti gratefully. Daryl slurps it, taking sips of his wine every now and then. Eric holds back a laugh at his table manners, as do I. Aaron looks less than pleased.

"Um...Hope? Would you like wine?" he offers.

I shake my head, thinking of the baby. "No thanks. If you've got juice though, that'd be good."

"Yeah, we have some. One moment."

I keep eating, enjoying the meal immensely. Aaron returns, pouring me a glass and sitting down again. Daryl grunts and wipes his face with his sleeve, and after a quick look from me, uses his napkin.

"Thanks," he says.

"Mmm, when you're out there, if you happen to be in a store or something, Mrs. Neudermyer is really looking for a pasta maker," Eric mentions, smiling. "And we're all really trying to get her to shut up about it. I mean, we have crates of dried pasta in here, but she wants to make her own or something. I really think she just wants something to talk about, so if you see one out on your travels, it would go a long way to..."

I give him a confused look, seeing that Daryl holds the same facial expression.

"I thought it was done." Eric chuckles awkwardly. "You didn't ask him already?"

Aaron shakes his head.

"Ask me what?" Daryl asks.

"I'll show you," Aaron says. "Uh, Hope? Eric? Is it-"

"Go ahead," we say in sync. We both look at each other. "Jinx!"

We both laugh. Daryl smiles at me before walking away with Aaron.

Daryl's POV

We head into a garage full of old parts and a motorcycle shaped thing under a tarp. My eyes widen and I actually start to feel excited.

"When I got the place, there was that frame and some parts and equipment. Whoever lived here built them," Aaron explains.

"It's a lot of parts for one bike," I comment, looking over the pieces of metal.

"Whenever I came across any parts out there, I brought them back. I didn't know what I'd need. I always thought I'd learn how to do it, but...I get the feeling you already know what to do with it." He pauses, watching me. "And the thing is, you're going to need a bike."

"Why?" I ask.

"I told Deanna not to give you a job because I think I have one for you." I stop walking around, curious. "I'd like you to be Alexandria's other recruiter. I don't want Eric risking his life anymore."

"You want me riskin' mine, right?" I question.

"Yeah, because you know what you're doing. You're good out there. But you don't belong out there. I know it's hard getting used to people getting used to you."

I start rustling around with the tarp, looking at the half baked bike underneath. It's gonna need a lot of love.

"And I understand right now you need to be out there sometimes. So do I. But...the main reason why I want you to help me recruit is because you do know the difference between a good person and a bad person."

I let out a long sigh. "After today, I don't think Hope's gonna be too pleased about it."

"Do you want to talk to her? I understand. She's your wife, she's important."

I pause. Hope would want me to be doing a job, especially one that I like. I'm good at it, it'd get me my time on the outside...

"I got nothin' else to do," I say. "Thanks. I'll get you some rabbits."

Aaron laughs. "Great."

I look back at the door. "I should get home. Hope's probably sleepin' on your couch by now."

"Right. Thanks again."

I nod, heading out of the garage.

Hope's POV

I wake to the feeling of my body lifting. I open my eyes a little, seeing that Daryl is carrying me out of the house.

"What did Aaron want?" I ask sleepily.

"He got me a job," he mumbles.

"What kind of job?"

He sighs. "I'll tell you when we get home."

I nod. "Ok."

It isn't long before I feel Daryl settling me onto our mattress. I yawn, kicking off my boots and pulling off my socks.

"So...what was it?" I ask, shimmying out of my jeans and pulling off my shirt.

He sighs, shrugging his shirt off as he sits down. "He wants me to be the new recruiter. Go on runs, find new people..."

My breath hitches in my throat. The image of him and Aaron surrounded by walkers flashes in my mind.

"Cool," I squeak.

I feel the bed shift a little before his arms wrap around my middle and his nose buries itself in my hair.

"It's gonna be fine. I've been fine on every run so far," he murmurs.

"I almost lost you today..." I whisper.

"But you didn't."

"What if I had?" I turn around, tears appearing in my eyes. "I don't want to be raising our child in this world if his or her father isn't there."

He reaches over and brushes some hair out of my face gently. "I know. But, you know I need a job, and this would get me outside the walls every now and then. It's good for me."

I nod, a tear or two trickling down my face. "I know, and all I want is for you to be happy."

He pulls me close to him, my head resting on his shoulder.

"You ain't gonna lose me," he whispers, wiping away the tears.

"I hope you're right."

He pulls me into a sweet kiss, lowering me onto the mattress gently.

"Get some sleep, ok?"

"Mmhmm." I snuggle close to him. "I love you."

"Yeah, I love you too."

He pulls the blankets over top of us, letting the comfort surround us in its warmth. It isn't long before I'm asleep, Daryl's arms staying around me.