Chapter 7: Wandering Souls

Hope's POV

It's back to walking among the trees the next morning. I stay next to Daryl, and we listen to the quiet conversations of our friends and family.

"I'm gonna go hunt," Daryl whispers to me.

"I'll be here." I smile, and he kisses my cheek before traipsing off into the forest.

"How was everything after I left the prison?" Carol asks, falling in step beside me.

"The sickness spread more. I got pretty sick," I say. "Glenn and Sasha too. We were really lucky it didn't claim everyone's lives."

"And the prison? How'd that end?"

I bite my lip, the awful memories bashing themselves into my mind. "The Governor showed up. He destroyed everything. It's amazing we found each other again."

As I mention the Governor, Tara tenses up, turning her head back to look at me. I motion for her to walk beside me, and Carol picks up the speed, taking her spot.

"You know we don't blame you," I say. "You didn't want to be there."

"Yeah...I didn't know who he was."

"Was the woman with the little blonde girl your sister?" I ask.

Tara nods, her eyes becoming watery. "Lilly, and Meghan was my niece."

"I saw her, before I got out, Lilly," I say. "I offered for her to come with me, but she refused. She said her family was dead, and there was nothing left for her."

"So she didn't know I was alive?"

"Yeah. She shot the Governor, when it was all over."

"Did you have any sisters?"

I shake my head. "I'm an only child. My parents tried after me, but..."

Rustling leaves up ahead catch my attention, and I move forwards, away from Tara, my knife raised.

Everyone else grabs their weapons, and Daryl steps out of the bushes, tons of squirrels strung together already.

"We surrender." He raises his hands, and I smirk.

"Sorry sir. Goods inspection." I stride towards him, taking the squirrels off his shoulder. I pretend to examine them, then I shake my head in disappointment. "Oh dear. I'm afraid I'll have to confiscate these."

"Over my dead body," Daryl growls, snatching the squirrels and wrapping one arm around me, pinning my arms down.

I struggle against him, and he chuckles.

"No fair, Daryl," I whine.

"Sorry officer. These squirrels are dinner tonight," he says. "You're under arrest now."

I punch his arm playfully as he releases me. He gives me a quick kiss, and we follow the rest of the group. Rick glances back at us, laughing quietly.

"What do you think Rick? Could I be a police officer?" I ask.

"Nah. You're not scary enough," Rick says.

"She can be plenty scary when she tries," Daryl says. He pauses, and a smirk spreads across his face. "Hugs of Doom and such."

"Her terrifying words of assurance," Carl adds.

"Cradling Judith in her bone-crushing arms," Bob says, waving his arms around like a ghost.

"Her smile brings any walker to their knees in fright!" Sasha cries dramatically.

"Alright guys. I get it. I'm not scary." I roll my eyes, and everyone laughs.

"That's why you're the guardian angel of the group," Daryl whispers. "Right angel?"

"Of course," I say.

"She sure can work that knife though," Michonne says, and everyone laughs again. "Almost as great as my katana skills were."

Everyone falls back into their chatter.

Screams pierce the air, and Carl spins to look at Rick.

"Dad," he says. "Dad, come on."

Rick hesitates, but his good side wins over and we sprint towards the noise.