Chapter 26: Once Three, Now Two

Well, one of our hostages has escaped. Lamson made a run for it after knocking Sasha out, so Rick is currently chasing him down.

We wait inside the warehouse, awaiting Rick's return.

I had to sit down again, deciding to check my gun for bullet count and such while I do. Daryl paces in front of me, glancing to the two remaining cops every once in a while.

"You're making me nervous," I mutter, putting my pistol back in its holster.

He stops, smiling lightly at me. "Sorry."

"Nah, it's fine." I shrug.

He settles down next to me, putting an arm around my shoulders as I rest my head on his shoulder.

"I want to go dunk myself in a lake," I mutter.

He laughs, and I can hear the sound vibrating through him.

"Why?"

"I'm dirty as hell and tired of it," I grumble.

"Maybe it'll rain soon." He kisses my cheek, a smirk remaining on his face.

Rick enters, alone, and we stand up, our faces switching to our authoritative look. He walks over to us, scratching the back of his neck.

"He wouldn't stop," he says.

"This change thin's?" Daryl asks.

"It has to."

"Maybe not," I say.

"She said the plan won't work. The guy who did is dead. Maybe we gotta rethink this," Rick says.

"They also said the cop in charge didn't have any love for him. Maybe you did her a favour," Daryl retorts.

"I don't know if they'll play ball."

"Let's find out," I say.

We turn and walk back to the others, where we have the two remaining cops on their knees.

"He was a good man," Shepherd says. "He was attacked by rotters. Saw him go down."

"Huh. You're a damn good liar," Rick compliments.

"We're hanging by a thread here. He was attacked by rotters. That's the story."

"You said the trade was a bad idea," Daryl reminds them. "What changed?"

"Lamson was our shot. So it's this or you go in guns blazing, right? You don't want that," she says.

"If this is some bullshit you're spinnin' and thin's go south-" Daryl starts.

"I know. I know the good ones from the bad." She bites her lip. "Let us help you."

"What about you? You wanna live?" Rick asks Licari. "How much?"

"Dawn's afraid she'll look weak in front of us," he replies. "Thinks it'll tip things against her. Hell, it will. She'll see this trade as a rip-off if she thinks you took out one of our guys." We stay silent as we stare at him, and he smirks. "So it's a good thing Lamson got aced by rotters."

Rick nods to Daryl and I, who also nod.

"At this hospital, are there lots of meds?" Daryl asks.

"We've got a good stash," Shepherd replies.

"What about stuff for pregnant women? You got vitamins?" Rick asks.

The two cops' eyes widen noticeably, and Shepherd looks to me. Her face becomes shocked and sympathetic at the same time.

Usually, I would wonder why the hell they automatically think I'm the one, but then again, it makes the most sense.

"Yes. We do," she says slowly.

"Good," Daryl says, wrapping an arm around my waist as we walk away.