Chapter 42: Sleepover

Daryl guts his possum on the front porch of Rick's designated house and I sit nearby. Rick leaves the house and I jump at the sight of him.

"Who are you and what have you done with Rick Grimes?" I joke.

He chuckles and scratches his freshly shaven jaw. "Very funny." He adjusts Judith slightly as Carl walks outside. "You look nice too."

I look to the pair of shorts I'm wearing, the sun warm against my smooth legs.

"Freedom. It feels like freedom," I say.

"'Murica," Carl whispers.

We burst out laughing. Carl smiles and looks to his dad.

"Can I explore a bit?" he asks.

"Make it quick."

He takes off, and Carol heads away a moment or two later. Rick heads back into the house while Daryl finishes with his animal gutting.

"Having fun?" I ask.

"I'm trying to mask the smell of oranges and blossoms in my nose," he grumbles.

I lean down and kiss the top of his head. "You love it."

"Humph."

"At least now you don't smell like cigarettes and sweat."

He shakes his head, a small smile on his face. I don't know if it's just me, but all of our moods seem to be a little better. I know Rick is still cautious, as with everyone else, but I just find myself wanting to trust these people so badly.

Daryl, Rick, Carol, and I meet up in between Rick and my house.

"We're living right next to each other, but..." I start.

"They took our weapons, now they're splitting us up," Rick finishes. I still find it weird to see him without the scraggly beard and hair.

"Yup," Daryl confirms.

"Yeah," Carol echoes.

I look to her, seeing that we both can't seem to stop smiling.

"Why don't we all sleep in the same house tonight?" Rick suggests.

"Sounds good," I agree.

----------

When night falls, we all gather in the living room of the Grimes' house, as I've decided to call it. Daryl and I sit near Judith's crib, watching her giggle and suck on her fingers. We're all clean and well fed, something that hasn't happened in much too long.

Michonne enters, looking shiny and clean.

"How long was I in there for?" she asks.

"Twenty minutes?" Rick offers.

She laughs. "I could not stop brushing." She pauses, tilting her head a little as she looks at Rick. "Huh. I've never seen your face like that."

"That's how I felt; before and after." He runs a hand along his jaw.

"You know, it's almost as surprising as Daryl smelling like fruit," she says. "Maybe his fleas have cleared up too."

A few people chuckle while Daryl lets out a groan.

"I have a convincing wife," he grumbles.

I hug his arm, and Rick moves closer to Michonne as they discuss something quietly.

Daryl runs a hand over my leg, his fingers rough against my skin. I swing them up and lay them across his lap, resting my head on my hands.

"It's almost like you enjoy feeling them more than I do," I comment.

"They're so damn smooth it's hard not to."

I smile, and a knock sounds at the door, making all of us jump.

Rick opens it, revealing Deanna.

"Rick, I-" She stops, taking in his appearance. "Wow." Rick rolls his eyes and lets out a small groan, tired of the reactions to his new look. "I didn't know what was under there. Sorry, I didn't mean to interrupt, but I wanted to stop by and see how you're all settling." She looks at us all, amazed. "Oh my. You're staying together. Smart."

"No one said we couldn't," Rick points out.

"You said you're a family. That's what you said." She smiles up at him. "It's actually amazing to me how people with completely different backgrounds and almost nothing in common can become that. Don't you think?"

"You said you gave them jobs?" he asks.

"Yup. Uh huh." She nods, looking around. "It's part of this place. Looks like the communists won after all."

She laughs, and Rick smirks barely. "You didn't give me one."

"I have. I just haven't told you yet. Same with Michonne." She keeps smiling pleasantly. "I've got one secured for Hope, I'm closing in on something for Sasha, and I'm just trying to figure Mr Dixon out. But I will."

At that comment, Daryl looks out the window and acts uninterested. Deanna leaves, and we all relax noticeably when Rick closes the door.

"What job did you get?" Glenn asks me.

"She wants me to be their nurse," I respond.

"Who else saw that coming?" Maggie asks.

Everyone except Judith raises their hand. I laugh.

"Well, it's what I'm good at."

Everyone chats a little bit before finally settling down to sleep. Daryl lays back, yawning. I hug him close, shutting my eyes. Although he did manage to get some of the blood smell back on him, the fruit and blossom scent remains. I smirk lightly, thinking of how weird it is for someone like Daryl to smell like...someone like me.

I kiss his cheek as he holds me close inside our double sleeping bag.

"Love you," I murmur.

"Love you too," he responds sleepily.