Chapter 41: Career Path

Daryl's POV

"It's ok to sit down, Daryl," Deanna says.

"Yeah, I'm a'ight," I mumble as I look around the room, adjusting the possum in my hand.

The smell of citrus still surrounds me, but I find that I'm sort of ok with it. It reminds me of Hope, who I know is waiting for me outside, waiting for her turn.

"Daryl, do you want to be here?" Deanna asks.

I nod. "We got a boy and a baby. They deserve a roof...I guess."

"And what about you?"

"What about me?"

"Where do you think you fit in with the group?"

I shrug. "I dunno. I'm a hunter, there's that. I catch food for everyone."

"Anything else? Jobs before now?"

I swallow the lump in my throat, thinking of Beth and Zach. I shake my head.

"And what about Hope? Who is she to you? Girlfriend? Wife?

"Wife."

"Don't you want this for her?"

"She's got a baby on the way, so yeah. I want her to be safe more than anythin'."

Her face changes. "She's pregnant?"

"Four or five weeks along by now."

She nods, letting out a small chuckle. "You should've mentioned that sooner."

"It never came up."

She presses her lips together in a tight smile. "Ah. I see."

I nod, swinging the dead possum a little.

Hope's POV

Daryl emerges from the house, his face wiped clear of emotion. I stand up, smiling lightly.

"How'd it go?"

"Eh," he mumbles. "Have fun."

"I plan to." I smirk.

He smiles lightly and gives me a kiss. I head into the house, going into the room where the woman named Deanna waits.

"Afternoon, Mrs Dixon," she says politely.

"Afternoon," I respond.

She gestures to the seat in front of her. "Please, sit."

"Thank you."

"It's alright if I record this, right?" she asks. I nod. "So, Hope, I just finished speaking with your husband. He tells me that you're pregnant?"

"That is true," I confirm, leaning back a bit.

"How long have you been married?"

I smile lightly. "I'm not sure...a month or two, I think. Maybe three."

A look of surprise crosses her face. "So, you got married during this whole thing?"

I nod. "We've been together since near the start though." I tilt my head a little. "I don't think the status of my marriage is important to you, however."

She smiles. "Everything is important." She taps her fingers on her knee. "What were you before this? Occupation-wise."

I fiddle with one of my curls. "I was a vet student in Canada...I spent five years in school. I left to..." I stop, letting out a short laugh. "I left school to chase a silly dream."

"What dream was that?"

I laugh softly again. "I...I wanted to be an actress. I thought I'd move on from Atlanta once I had more money, but it never happened. I realize the absurdity of it now..."

"Why is that?"

"Being famous...it doesn't matter. It never mattered. All I need is a home where I can rest my head at night, my husband beside me, and my family nearby. I don't need money or fame to be happy."

"You never had a real job then? You were just a student?"

"I worked as a waitress and a department store employee...but yes, I was nobody. Just a face in the crowd."

"You aren't that now. I can tell."

"No. Not at all. Now...I'm a Cherokee rose."

"A rose?"

"Yes. It's a symbol of sorts," I say.

"And your group? How'd you find them?"

"They found me, actually. I was mistaken for a walker, got smacked pretty hard. They didn't want to leave me alone, so I chose to trust them." I smile lightly. "I don't know how it happened after that, I just kind of slipped into the group and they let me stay."

"You must have some ranking within your family."

"I'm the medical girl...and their radio. I sing sometimes when we need to hear music..."

"You worked as their nurse?"

"Yes. We once had another medical man...he taught me a lot." I let out a long breath, sending a silent "thank you" to Hershel. "I'm a part of a family; Rick's family, and soon to be-" I stop to place a hand on my stomach. "-Daryl and my own little family."

"I see." She nods. "Where do you think you'll fit in?"

"Wherever I'm needed. I just need to know that I'm helping people."

She smiles thoughtfully. "I have just the job for you."

"Already?"

"You have vet training. We've got pets here, but if you'd like, I want you to be our nurse for us humans too."

I smile. "Sounds good."

"I'll have Aaron introduce you to Doctor Elliot. He'll show you the ropes." She leans forwards a little. "We can give you an exam, for your baby."

"I'd appreciate that, Miss."

"Thank you for speaking with me."

"Anytime."

I rise, giving her hand a shake before leaving the house and heading back to where our group is setting up.