Chapter Thirty-Three - Honey, You're My Moon

The reception went by faster than Lutfiyah thought it would, people flocking to talk and hug and slip envelopes into her hands. Jaafar's sisters were a constant comfort, steering people off if they stayed too long, allowing Randy to make sure she ate and Sara to make sure everyone else did.

She assumed Jaafar was somewhere with the rest of the men, going through the same thing but on a lesser scale, and when he came to meet his relatives by the doors, not allowed in until all the ladies in niqaab had covered up, she saw the few relatives of his that had come, tear up like they'd lost a young son of theirs.

"Riyaad's family was the same," Sara said, rolling her eyes and laughing when one lady started to sob. "It's crazy. I bet you that before this day, they hadn't seen him for like months. Why are old ladies so dramatic?"

"When you become one, you'll know all about it. Besharm poiri."

Lutfiyah and Sara whipped around to see Zarina Foi glaring at them and Lutfiyah was irritated to find herself ashamed on her own wedding day.

"Did you eat nicely, Zarina Foi?"

She turned up her nose and said, "The potatoes were a little under-cooked. You know, when my Faizal got married, I did the cooking myself. To make sure the food we served our mehman was perfect. You can't trust caterers these days."

Upon seeing her distress and disbelief, Aqeelah swooped in like the brave eagle she was and steered Zarina Foi away, pulling her into a conversation about her son's wedding.

Sara opened her mouth but Lutfiyah shook her head. "Nope, not today. Today we are free from familial drama. Today we party like the normal people we are."

Sara burst into laughter. "That was so lame. Oh my god, so lame. How am I related to you?"

Lutfiyah stuck out her tongue. "I am a treasure."

"Yes, you are."

Lutfiyah almost jumped out of her skin as the words were whispered in her ear, goosebumps running up her arm at the sensation caused by the vibration of Jaafar's voice. He had removed his jubbah and was now wearing just his turban and kurta, his eyes lined with surma, like blue coals glowing down at her.

Sara smiled and blew her a kiss before wagging her finger in his face. "Down, boy. You're not allowed to be here. I'll be hearing all about the inappropriateness of it if you don't leave right now. You can wait an hour or two to see your wife. You've waited long enough to marry her. Go on. Out."

Jaafar groaned before a mischievous smile lit his face and he kissed Lutfiyah quickly on her cheek, his beard scraping against her skin, before walking away. She was too busy blushing to notice the scandalised looks the aunties were giving him as he walked out.

# # #

"I still don't understand why you are taking May with you. We'd have looked after her."

Lutfiyah smiled as she pointed her bag out to Riyaad for him to take to the car. "Jaafar insisted and anyway, I haven't been away from May longer than a work day, ever. She won't be able to handle a night away let alone a week."

Sara just nodded and helped her with the remainder of her things, insisting that she wasn't allowed to change and part of the romance of the wedding day was your husband helping you remove your gown. Anything that had to do with undressing was sending Lutfiyah into fits so it wasn't being explicitly mentioned.

Jaafar was waiting impatiently by the car, his eyes flitting to the door and back and Lutfiyah smiled as she watched him from the window.

"Why are you torturing him like this? He's obviously anxious to see you, and no wonder, with the way your reception dragged on."