Chapter Twenty-Six - Showtime

As loathe as she was to admit it, Lutfiyah missed Jaafar. And she hated him all the more for it. How dare he ingrain himself so deeply into their lives that even a week away from him without any contact hurt so much?

It was like a dagger to her heart and she couldn't bear it.

"I need to move."

Sara snorted into the phone. "As much as I love and support you, even I know that's being dramatic. I think. Sorry I wasn't listening. Why do you need to move again?"

Lutfiyah sighed and swung her legs as she leaned back against her office chair. "If this is a busy time I'll call back later. I don't want to get you into trouble."

"No sorry, that's actually on me. I was trying to warm my lunch without it overheating. I promise I'm listening now."

"I think May is getting too attached to our neighbour and I think it's healthier for her in the long run if we move. "

There was a short silence. "Ooooh you mean you have finally realised that you're practically in love with him and it's freaking you out?"

Lutfiyah squawked in outrage much to Sara's amusement. "You're not a bird, sweetie, use your words."

"Well my words are too vulgar to be expressed right now! Where did you get this ridiculous idea from?"

She heard a sigh. "Lutfi, I really do just want what's best for you and hearing you these last few months, I mean it's obvious to a deaf and blind person that you really care for this man. And running away is not going to help. Do you really think he's going to just let you disappear like that?"

"Also, where are you going to find a place that gives affordable rent and is close to work and all the other benefits that you're currently getting? And finally. Why should he make you move? If you're really uncomfortable with him, just tell him to stop coming over. He's not going to force himself into your life. He'll have to respect your decision."

Lutfiyah stood up and began pacing her office, glancing at the clock to make sure that she still had time before her next patient arrived.

"I don't know what to do. I know that you're right. Of course you are. You're making sense and I have no arguments against any of what you said. But, I'm scared."

"Aw Lutfiyah, of course you are. I know that. But you can't continue living your life like this. Something has to give. You need to face up to what's happening or put your foot down and backtrack completely. This up and down nonsense is going to hurt you."

There was a knock on her door and Lutfiyah looked up to see her two o' clock appointment waiting.

"I have to go. Talk later?"

"Yeah sure. Love you. Assalamualaikum."

"Waalaikumussalam."

"Sorry about that, Jess."

"No problem, Miss Lutfiyah."

The girl took a seat and Lutfiyah grabbed her notebook before sitting down. It seemed like she needed a visit to her own therapist soon.

###

Lutfiyah passed the week as she would have before she had met her stupid, thought consuming neighbour. In absolute tedious routine.

It had been all fine before he'd shown up. Even in Ramadhaan, she'd had her father for company and distraction.

The only thing she had now was irritation that Jaafar was upset with her for reasons that were not even her own fault.