Chapter Thirty-Two - I Now Pronounce You

The moment Jaafar left, there was a flurry of activity as Sara and the remainder of her cousins rushed in to get her ready. She was shoved into the bathroom to take a shower while everyone outside yelled and screamed not to be late.

No one cared that there were still a few hours left for everything to start. Knowing her family, they'd still be late though.

Warm and fresh out of the shower, the girls traipsed in to do her makeup, smiling indulgently when she insisted on praying first and only putting her gown on after the ceremony.

May was quivering on her feet with excitement as she was dolled up to match her mother, Sara running a powder brush with nothing on it across her cheeks to make her happy. She was more than excited to have herself spritzed with perfume though and sat so still so as not to mess herself that it was hilarious.

Her father eventually came in to ask her permission again, looking pale as a ghost when he saw her.

She hugged him tight, understanding that the act of giving a daughter away was one she had still to experience. A knock on the door interrupted them and it opened to reveal Riyaad and Tayob Mamoo.

"Feeling better?" Riyaad asked, smiling softly at her, probably knowing exactly what had happened.

Lutfiyah nodded and smiled. "Much better, alhamdullilah."

And so they asked and she said yes and the giggles from the girls who were listening at the door made her smile wider because it was such a crazy but amazing day.

The men left and fifteen minutes later, the receiver crackled, letting everyone know that the ceremony was about to start. There was a rush to get a space on the couches so they could all listen in and for the first time that day, the house fell into silence as the Imam started the proceedings.

A passage was recited from Qura'an by one of her nephews, his reading so beautiful it made her tear up. The Imam then gave a small talk about marriage and advices and then the khutba was given and the reality of the situation finally dawned on her. This was her nikaah! She was getting married!

He read out the official information, asking her father and witnesses if she had given her permission. She heard her father mumble in affirmation before her mehr was announced and finally, finally, the magic words.

"Please repeat after me."

She felt Sara squeeze her hand and her stomach erupted with butterflies, her heart racing as the Imam continued.

"Nikahtuha."

"Nikahtuha," repeated Jaafar, his voice uncommonly loud and clear in the microphone.

"Wa qabiltuha."

"Wa qabiltuha."

"Wa tazawwajtuha."

"Wa tazawwajtuha,' he said, and just like that, they were married.

Taking into account that her family had no sense of propriety, she was not the least bit surprised when the men in the masjid and women in the house all burst into cheers, hollering, whistling and clapping in delight and celebration.

Lutfiyah was glad she had decided to wear the dress after the nikaah because she was grabbed and hugged so many times, Sara would probably have to touch up her make up again.

She couldn't bring herself to care though because she was that happy.

"Eeeeeee, you're married, girl!"