Prologue

I don't want to make it a habit to have author's notes but this needs a warning. The following chapter has some sensitive topics mentioned so readers are advised.

The prologue is written such that two situations are taking place as you read. The past situation is written in italics and the present is written without italics.

I hope its not too confusing.

Please vote and comment.

Enjoy❤️

# # # # #

Four Years Earlier...

The hospital doors burst open, the EMT’s rushing in with a female patient around the age of eighteen to twenty one lying on the gurney. Doctors rushed to her side, listening attentively as the diagnosis was given. One doctor checked her pulse while nurses rushed around following their strict orders.

“Female, found lying in an alleyway, beaten and-

It was their last day as college students. They were at their favourite cafe and the atmosphere was both sad and joyful. It was an end but also a new beginning.

The sound of female giggles filled the air as she approached her friends. They had been waiting for her she could see but, seeing as they were all regulars, their orders were already on their way.

“Fiyah!” they cried simultaneously, the short red-head standing up to greet her.

A few hugs and waves later she sat down and took an appreciative sip of her virgin pinna colada. It had been a long day.

“How are my favourite sparring partners doing today?” she asked, her voice filled with happiness at seeing them.

The air filled with chatter as each recounted their stories, turning to her for assurance that yes, they were being listened to. She was like that. Someone whom people turned towards when they needed someone to talk to.

“–most possibly raped. Definite concussion, broken ribs-

They giggled as their waiter brought them their food, winking at them as he left.

“Ah, if only,” the girl next to her sighed.

Fiyah nudged her with her elbow and raised an eyebrow. “What about Talha, huh Aaliyah?”

The girl shrugged. “He says that he’s going to propose. We’ll see.”

The girls didn’t believe her nonchalant attitude for half a second.

“Propose?” the girls squealed, almost vibrating in their chairs.

“Well, it’s about darn time,” Fiyah said, smiling despite her grouchy tone.

“Yeah yeah,” Aaliyah said, smiling at her friend for her to know that she was not being mean. “We all know about your morals.”

“I’m just saying,” Fiyah said, shrugging, “that if he’s not playing around, he should make it official. We don’t have time to ruin our reputations.”