Chapter Eight - Friends Can Be Found in the Strangest of People

Chapter Eight – Friends Can Be Found in the Strangest of People

She quickened her pace, her heart accelerating in her chest. She could taste the metallic tinge of fear under her tongue. Glancing back, she felt cold sweep through her as the man quickened his pace too and she knew that she was in trouble.

Giving up the pretence, she began to jog then run, turning at the first bend that she saw. Her heart almost gave out in terror when she realised that she had made a mistake. She turned around hoping that she could escape but he was there now.

She screamed.

“Mama, Mama! Wake up! Don’t cry, please Mama!”

Lutfiyah opened her eyes with a jerk and looked around, her eyes swimming with tears. Through the blurry wetness, the face of her precious child came into view, the fear clearly evident on her little girl’s face.

Her maternal instincts kicked in; her first thought to protect her child.

“Sorry baby, Mama’s okay now.”

She sat up and scooped May against her, cuddling her into her lap, peppering kisses into the baby’s dark wavy hair.

“Mama, what’s wrong?”

Lutfiyah rubbed soothing circles into her daughter’s back, rocking slightly with her. “Nothing, my baby. Mama just had a little nightmare.”

Her daughter hugged her tightly and slowly fell asleep with the rocking motions, her breathing soft and warm against Lutfiyah’s collarbone.

She laid her daughter down, tugging the covers up to May’s chin before slipping out of bed and heading to the bathroom. She splashed water onto her face, bracing herself against the counter as the images from her nightmare flashed through her.

She hadn’t had one like this in a while.

Sighing, she splashed water onto her face again before wiping herself dry and walking out to go to the kitchen. Grabbing a glass of water, she slumped down onto her couch, sighing with relief as its soft cushions welcomed her in.

Taking a generous sip, she closed her eyes and leaned her head back, feeling the cool water go down her throat. Nights like these were the worst. She couldn’t go back to sleep and the lack of sleep made her into a zombie the next day. It wasn’t so much the images that haunted her but rather the feelings of utter helplessness and fear that had gripped her that night.

She had come from a life of love and safety and just one moment, one mistake, had ruined her life forever. It had changed her and she still didn’t know if it was for the better or for worse.

# # #

Lutfiyah came home exhausted but happy. It had been a good day. One of her patients had smiled for the first time since Lutfiyah had known her and to her, that was the greatest victory. Baby steps after all.

She stepped out of the lift and walked to her flat, pulling out her keys to open her door. She smiled when she heard voices coming from the inside.

“May, are you home already?”

Her daughter squealed out in laughter and Lutfiyah smiled upon hearing the delightful sound. She unlocked the door and threw her keys into the tray on the side table before walking into the lounge and stopping short in shock.

Her daughter was driving her toy car all over a very prone, very still Mr Abdullah’s body whose facial expression would have made her laugh if it wasn’t for the fact that he was lying flat on her couch!