Chapter Twenty-Two - Long Distance

Lutfiyah didn't have time to contemplate over what she'd heard over the next few days because before she knew what was happening, her father had moved in, Ramadhaan started and the caseload at work had tripled. It was madness and she embraced it with vigor.

She couldn't even complain because the truth was, it gave her time to absorb everything. She knew that something had been missing from the persona of Jaafar but this she had not expected.

Not a few days after his departure, she was fielding questions from her daughter about Jaafar and then fielding questions from her father about Jaafar as well.

She supposed it was about time. Even her father couldn't be that patient and keep silent when some strange man's name was being flung around like a ball at a rugby match.

More disconcerting, however, were the phone calls she began receiving a few days after the revelation. Those she had no idea what to think of.

"Mama, will we get to video tonight also?"

Lutfiyah sighed as she turned the frying samoosas, using her foot to keep May away from the hot stove. This was about the fiftieth time she was being asked this question.

"Yes, May, he said he would video call tonight also. Can you please go play with your grandfather while I fry these?"

May's wounded look at her sharp tone did not fail to break her heart but she was just so hungry and tired. The long fasts were catching up with her and having her father there did not ease matters. She loved the man but he was so messy! She had to clean the bathroom three times as much as when he wasn't there. It was killing her and she couldn't for the life of her understand why, when he'd been coming over for years now.

Finally done with the savouries, she wiped her hands and went to the bathroom to freshen up. Soon it would be time to break fast.

Her groan shook the foundations of the building, causing May to come running out to investigate. Lutfiyah heard the banging and dropped her head into her lap.

"What happened, Mama? Nana said I must come see. Maybe you broked something."

Lutfiyah couldn't help the laugh that escaped her but it was brittle and pained. "Nothing, baby. Just got a little visitor."

"Visitor? In the loo? Mama, that's yuckies!"

Lutfiyah laughed again. "You're telling me. Fourteen hours of no eating and this happens. Flip my life."

"Mama said a bad word. I'm telling Nana. Nenenenene."

# # #

Five hours later had Lutfiyah tucking May into bed, both of them freshly showered and ready to sleep.

"Mama! You said we can video. We didn't video!"

Lutfiyah groaned, holding the hot water bottle tighter to her cramping stomach as she settled into bed.

"Just now, baba. Give it a few minutes."

She barely finished speaking before her cell began to ring, causing May to jump in glee. She grabbed the phone before Lutfiyah could react and swiped across the screen with her tiny finger.

"Assalamualaikum, Uncle Jaafi! I was waiting and waiting for you to phone. I almost went to sleep!"

Jaafar's deep laughter flowed through the phone, her stomach twisting at the sound. As if her stomach needed anymore reason to misbehave today.