Twenty-Eight

Double update! Because I've written like 7 chapters in the last 2 days so why not. Read 27 if you haven't. Love you all!!

Calum

"Wait? This is where you live?" Ali leans forward as the car pulls to a stop outside the ivy covered gate into my home.

"Ya, why?"

"I guess I just assumed your house would be bigger than my dads, maybe flashier too." She shrugs, following me around the car to get our things.

"Na, nice quite hideaway for me and those I invite in." I smile.

"I like that." She grins, grabbing her bag from the trunk as I grab mine.

"Come on, I'll show you around." I motion for her to follow me, putting in the gate code, pushing the heavy wood open as the mechanics click.

"It's so cute." She smiles as she follows me through the small garden space in front of the house.

"It's home." I shrug, slotting my key into the door and pushing it open.

"HEY!!!" I turn, grinning at the heavily tattooed man walking out from the kitchen. "My best friend is home!" Mitchy yells.

"For a minute. Mitchy, this is Ali, Ali. this is my best friend, Mitchy." I grin, pulling him into a hug.

"I've heard a lot about you, miss Ali, you've got this kid whipped." Mitchy smiles, extending his arms to offer her a hug too.

"What are you doing here, man?" I can't help the smile plastered on my face.

"Duke wanted to come home for a few days since you'd be here. I was talking to Luke this morning and he told me when you would be back so baby grandpa and I came over. He's outback reclaiming is territory."

"Duke?" Ali turns to me her eyebrow cocked.

"My dog, you know this, Ali. There is a photo of him up on the dog wall and has been all of tour."

"Oh ya. I want to meet him." She grins.

"He is a little bit skittish, and aggressive. He might not like you right off the back, don't be offended by that." I chuckle.

"Pretty sure I was a bit skittish and aggressive when we first met this year, and I definitely didn't like you right off the back, but we managed. I'm sure Duke and I will figure it out too."

"Fair point." I laugh, turning as I hear the clicking of small paws against the hardwood floors.

"Duke!" I yell, dropping to the floor as he bolts towards me, jumping into my lap quickly.

"Oh my gosh. He is so cute." Ali squeals slightly, dropping down beside me. Duke suddenly turns, going rigid as he looks her over a small growl emitting from the back of his throat.

"Hey. No." I say sternly, wrapping my hand around his snout. "Duke, this is Ali. You be nice to her."

"Hi. Duke. I promise, I love dogs." She chuckles, holding her hand out gently. I wait a moment until his body seems to relax a little before letting go of his face.

"I should get out of your hair, but I'll be at the show tomorrow. It was nice to meet you, Ali." Mitchy pulls me attention as Duke cautiously leans over to sniff at Ali's hand.

"Thanks for keeping Duke for me, Mitchy." I stand, pulling him into a hug.

"Anytime, Beans and I love having him around. Bring him back before you head for the last stretch. And enjoy being home for a few nights."