Twenty-Seven

Calum

"I'm surprised you still wanted to workout today." Marty grins as I step into the extra room at the arena.

"I ate way too much good food yesterday not to." I chuckle.

"I um, actually wanted to talk to you. But Ali asked me not to." He stops me by grabbing my bicep.

"Look mate she's an adult, I'm an adult. You're opinion doesn't matter." I sigh.

"Okay, but it does. She's like a sister to me, and her parents had a shit show of a divorce and relationship and I have to look out for her." His tone turns cold instantly.

"You don't trust her or you don't trust me with her, mate, which is it?" I sigh, crossing my arms as I turn to look at him square.

"Both. I don't like that you are with her, because I know you, and I know you don't really believe in the mushy shit or relationships or any of it. She is going to get hurt because of that. I don't trust her because she was raised by her dad, who had commitment issues for years. Probably still does, I don't know, haven't see the guys since my aunt finalized the divorce twelve years ago."

"Interesting." I raise my eyebrows, taking in his words.

"What?"

"Hearing your side of that. Ali's story seems to be a little different in regard to the divorce that's all."

"Ya well, her dad did send her across the world to keep her out of all the after mess and away from our family. So I'm sure her story is a bit bias. But that's not the point, Calum. The point is, if you hurt Ali at all, even a little bit, I will mess you up. She is naive enough to believe you actually want a relationship with her, to her it's more than a pretty face and someone to fuck."

"Bold if you to assume that is all she is to me." I can feel the heat rising within my body at his words.

"That's all any of the girls I've ever seen you with have been, Calum. I'm not stupid enough to think Ali will turn out any different for you. And when you hurt her, my fist will hurt your face."

"You know what," I scoff, "threaten me all you want. You don't know me, not really. Ali is different. So fuck out of my personal life, and help me with my workout for the day. That is what we pay you to do."

"Family first, Calum. I will always be on Ali's side."

"If you were on her side you'd have respected her wishes to not bring this up with me. Also, you'd have paid enough attention to see she is happy with me, that there is a real connection. She is so much more than a pretty face and a good fuck. Those are both bonuses." The words spit like fire from my tongue.

"Don't talk about my family member like that." He steps slightly closer, his words suddenly hard with anger as well.

"Like what? Like she is the most gorgeous fucking human on the planet? Like I enjoy spending time with her and want to get to know every last detail about her? Does it scare you that you might be wrong about me? That I might actually be a good fit for her?" I push.

"You don't deserve her." He hisses.

"No shit! I am well aware of that. I am aware that she never should have given me even the slightest chance after the way I treated her when we were kids. But that's just who Ali is isn't it? Forgiving, kind, honest, always looking for the good. And as long as she wants to give me a chance, she has me. All of me is hers. End of story."

"You've got a lot of talk there, Calum. You better fucking live up to your words." He shoves my shoulder backwards slightly.

"Don't worry, I will. Get on board, it's happening. Ali and I are something. Fuck, we are something with the potential to be great, and I am going to actively pursue that until it's become great or I've exhausted all my efforts to make it so."