Running Off Again

Scarlett Meadows USA 1899

The following morning Dutch, John, Hosea, Arthur, and I were all gathered around the table at camp trying to get him to relax. He was still worked up and rightfully so I mean his son had just been taken over a feud for nonexistent gold. Sadie was over at Abigails tent trying to calm her down as well and she's taken it worse than John.

Hosea: It's gonna work out John. It's gonna work out listen to Dutch.

Dutch: I don't expect you to understand this but I have never been more proud of you than I am right now brother. You're doing the right thing.

John: If I don't get that boy back safe I'm..she'll kill us all.

Dutch: I know, but looking at this logically that boy is fine. They took him to scare us nobody takes a boy to harm him. 

Hosea: He's right John.

Dutch: What do you boys think?

Arthur: The boy'll be fine but of course Marston's scared rotten.

Ethan: I mean we killed all those people, we stirred up all that trouble for nothing.

Dutch: No, no not for nothing. For living. Now we get that boy back and we go. Trust me.

Lenny: Hey Dutch we gotta problem.

We all looked up and turned to see Lenny leading two men into camp at gun point. Agent Milton and Agent Ross. I immediately stood up and went for my gun but Arthur held me back.

Milton: Not a problem, visitors, a solution good day fine people.

Milton & Ross then walked closer to our table and the gang began to surround them.

Milton: Mr. Van Der Linde, Mr. Matthews I presume..and who are you?

John: Rip Van Winkle.

Milton: Huh..good day sir. Agent Milton, Pinkerton Detective agency. Agent Ross.

Arthur then walked a couple steps towards him and I followed.

Milton: Ah and now I get to see both of the Morgan brothers. Nice to see you again Ethan.

Dutch: And to what do we owe the pleasure Agent Moron?

Milton: I don't know if you're aware but this is a civilized country now. We didn't kill all them savages only to allow the likes of you to act like human dignity and basic decency was outmoded or not yet invented. This thing..it's done.

Dutch then stood up and faced the agents.

Dutch: This place..ain't no such thing as civilized. It's man so in love with greed he has forgotten himself and found only appetites.

Milton: And as a consequence that lets you take what you please, kill whom you please and hang the rest of us? Who made you the messiah to these lost souls you've led so horribly astray?

Dutch: I'm nothing but a seeker Mr. Milton.

Milton: You ain't much of anything more than a killer Mr. Van Der Linde. But I came to make a deal. It's time you come with me and I give the rest of you three days to run off, disappear, and live like human beings someplace else.

Dutch: You came for me? Risked life and limb in this den of lowlifes and murderers so that they might live and love? Ain't that fine.