Chapter thirteen

Copyright © 2012. All Rights Reserved

Franca made her way to her English class. She was to practice her role play with Tyler in the presence of everyone in her class. To say she was nervous was an understatement. Franca was going through a spiral of emotions spanning from fright to anticipation to anxiety. She needed to calm her nerves, so taking a big gulp of air, she visibly calmed down, although the effects of her worry were still evident, her palms were sweaty and clammy. She didn't know how she was going to act around Tyler.

Sarah being observant couldn't help but to ask Franca was bothering her. She realized that Franca had lost part of herself somewhat since the arranged marriage shock. Franca seemed too calm for Sarah's liking. Wanting to know what was going through her friends mind, coupled with her inquisitiveness, Sarah came to an abrupt stop in the corridor, filled with impatient students, eager to get to their respective classes.

"Franca, what's wrong, why are you so calm, did Tyler maltreat you again?"Sarah's inquires, looking sympathetically at Franca.

"Oh, nothing really, I am not just in the mood to talk, I guess" Franca retorts, wearing a phony smile that didn't reach her sullen vivid eyes. Franca would do anything to avoid this scenario, she found herself in.

She thought she had gone through interrogations by Sharon, but this truly wasn't the case. She couldn't change the subject matter, because Sarah would realize that she was trying to hide something from her. Where was Anne when you needed her? Franca wanted to shout out loud, she knew Anne would have diverted the attention from her. But to her dismay, Anne was probably fawning over Zack. A pinch on her cheek brought back her attention to reality.

"Ouch Sarah, that wasn't necessary"

"Get over it, and stop avoiding my question, answer me" Sarah barked her tone was abrasive to Franca's ears. Sarah was impatient with Franca, she wanted answers and she wanted it immediately.

"Okay, no need to bite my ears off" Franca answers, her voice low and eyes glinting with anger.

"I am sorry for shouting, but I need to know Franca" Sarah says, her voice was soft and caring, a definite contrast to her pervious tone.

"It's Tyler" Franca says in monotone. Her voice didn't give away her emotions. It was chilling and overpowering. Franca didn't want to talk about Tyler but Sarah's insistence was making her angry.

Sarah faltered in her speech, "Franca, talk to me" She said, holding Franca's hand for reassurance. She wanted Franca to trust her, to know that she was there for her no matter the situation Franca finds herself in. She knew that this stage of Franca's life would be the most life changing, the arranged marriage, coupled with Franca being an adolescent was a tip of the ice berg, and Sarah could only pity Franca. Sarah knew that if she was in the situation Franca found herself in, she wouldn't be able to cope. Sarah would make the worse candidate for an arranged marriage, with her strong headed and impatient behavior.

Franca decided to tell Sarah about the happenings at Tyler's house. She finally decided that she needed to vent, to let everything out.

"Tyler had the nerves to bring Jessica into our house. She was even rubbing it in my face; can you believe the cheek of her? I thought Tyler and I were finally going somewhere with this arranged marriage thing, but I was up for a rude awakening. He keeps hurting me emotionally Sarah, and I am tired of it all. I am tired of his merry go round, he decides to break up with Jessica, and then be nice to me, then go back to her again. How hard can it be, to make a simple decision? I feel like punching him sometimes, and then I feel like hugging him, I don't know what I feel towards him, Sarah, and it is making me angry. I remember when we used to walk home from school, how he'd tug my hair playfully, smile at me and tell me virtually everything he was going through. I missed those days, I miss my childhood friend. He suddenly changed when Jessica came into his life; I wish we could go back to how we used to be like, why can't we Sarah?" Franca finishes, panting deeply for how rushed her speech was. She was surprised that Sarah could grasp all that she said. She clenched her fists, her fingers were likely to be bruising her delicate hands, but Franca was past caring.