Chapter Sixteen

Chapter Sixteen

Copyright © 2013. All Rights Reserved

"Mum, mummy, I am home" Franca rattles the door knob eager to get inside her house. She missed her parents, it had been a while since she last saw or spoke to them. A sad feeling overwhelmed her; she really thought the arranged marriage with Tyler was going to work out.  She had decided to go against her parents wish to be in an arranged marriage, the reprimand she was certainly going to get made her feel emotional. She began crying when she heard footsteps making its way to the door. Her mother opening the door shocked to see her, but the tears in Franca's eyes made her sympathize with her daughter. Just one look at her mother's face made Franca erupt with a volcano of tears.

"Oh, Franca, come her darling" Victoria pulls her daughter in a much needed embrace, smoothing down her hair like she did when Franca fell ill whilst she was still a child. Victoria could tell that Franca was hurting; there was nothing more painful than to see her only child emotionally broken. Victoria repeatedly said pleasant words to her, but the words didn't nothing to calm Franca. The tears didn't stop, it was like a fountain.

"Baby girl, come on in" Victoria continued, closing the door behind her, with Franca still in her arms holding for dear life. It was like the essence of her life came from her mother's embrace, if she let go, she would simply stop breathing. If Franca was in a happier mood, she would have shyly told her mother not to call her such names, she hated sentiments. She found it embarrassing, but there was nothing she could do about it, no matter how old a child was, they would always be a child in the sight of their parents.

Franca wanted to be strong but she was still in shock that Tyler had just left her. She had thought that when she uttered her displeasure in the marriage, he would plead to her to reconsider, but Tyler had done the opposite, he had just left, putting a void in her fragile heart. Franca had decided in that moment, why cry over split milk? Tyler and she had come a long way and it seemed that there was always something stopping them from being together. Franca was begging to think that it was maybe nature's way of letting her know that they weren't meant to be together. Tyler doesn't want me, why should I cry over him, also considering the fact that I pushed him away, he truly isn't at fault? Franca asked herself internally.

"Don't beat yourself over whatever it is, that is troubling you, my child. I don't know what is troubling you, put what I do know is that, it isn't your fault"

Franca didn't know what reply to provide to her mother, for she thought, isn't it just like all parents to think their child was a saint, completely faultless? No matter Tyler's flaws, Franca knew she had pushed him away, she blatantly told him to leave, so he did do as she said, she couldn't blame him for that although part of her did blame him somewhat. No one enjoys being rejected, especially an egoistic one likes Tyler, and she knew she had dented his male ego.

"Mum, you have no idea what I did, if you knew you wouldn't say that"

"What did you do honey?" Victoria carefully asked. She was making a cup of coffee for Franca; she was about pouring the milk into the cup when Franca suddenly replied.

"I broke up the engagement with Tyler" Franca spoke, voice barely above a whisper. She avoided her mother's knowing eyes; she timidly played with her thumbs on her lap.

"I didn't hear you honey"

"I said that I broke the engagement with Tyler. I just had to mum" Franca replied enunciating every word.

"No!" Victoria exclaimed, dropping the bottle of milk on the floor.

"Mum, it was only an engagement" Franca explained, rushing over to her mum, to inspect if she had sustained any injuries. Satisfied that she hadn't, she cleared the broken bottles from harm's way, before facing her mother.