Chapter twenty

Copyright © 2013

Franca couldn’t believe her eyes, am I dreaming? She asked herself. Am I really seeing clearly, please wake me up from this peculiar dream that I can’t seem to be waking up from. She blinked once, twice, thrice but the person was still standing some distance away from her.

The person truly wasn’t an apparition; it wasn’t a figure of her imagination either. He was real, flesh and bones and there wasn’t anything she could do to change it. His unwavering almond shaped brown eyes showed that fact. This was Shawn Jackson, the bully. He was simply that, a bully that had tormented her some years ago.

She went through a tough time during her first grade because of him; he always pulled her pigtails and always degraded her whenever he had the chance to. Even whilst sitting on her chair, Franca felt unnerved and threatened by his presence. Satisfied with her reaction, Shawn introduced himself to the class before making his way to take a seat.

“I sure wasn’t expecting that” Anne said bewildered and almost star struck. She widened her eyes looking from Shawn to Franca to Sarah, who nodded her head in agreement.

“Shawn the bully, back here again, really? What is he doing here? After all he did to you, he has the guts to show his face here again? Franca, don’t worry, you have us, he can’t do anything to harm you” Sarah said defensively.

“I don’t think he is set on revenge towards you though. Maybe he just remembered your face or something. What occurred between you both happened some years ago, if he still holds a grudge towards you until now, then he is childish. I mean people do grow up, don’t they?”

Franca glanced at Shawn to notice the smirk still present on his face. She wasn’t so sure about people becoming mature with age.

“I don’t think so Sarah. I think he still has ill feelings towards me and to be honest, I really can’t blame him for it”

“Yes, but that still doesn’t justify it”

“I agree with Sarah, he should get over it!”

Biology class used to serve as a safe harbor for Franca. She had her friends with her but that notion changed when Shawn showed up. Science has always been an interest of Franca especially Biology. She was good at memorizing intricate details and Biology allowed her to illustrate that skill. Although she wasn’t passionate about chemistry, she enjoyed the analytical and practical skills it provided her with.

Tyler sharing the same Chemistry class as her had made her interest in Chemistry to waver. She thought she had finally got rid of Tyler for him to be replaced with Shawn. Franca’s world was shaking; she now had two overbearing people to content with. How was she going to juggle this as well as her studies? Do normal teenage girls even go through what she was going through?

The girls took notice of Shawn and couldn’t help themselves. They were swooning and staring daringly at him, wanting him to notice them. Franca shook her head before turning to face the teacher. After class, Shawn sashayed to her, smiling bashfully.

“Hi I am Shawn Jackson; I think you know that though, so enough of the pleasantries. If you think I forgot about what you did to me before I left, then you must be joking. If you think I did, think again. I would pay you back for what you did so I would advise you to always watch your back.  Take care, you will need it” Shawn finished, patting her head, as though she was a small child.

Franca couldn’t believe the nerve of him. Yes, she agreed that what she did many years ago was wrong, but it was a little petty of him to seek revenge. Not able to control herself any longer, she shouted exasperatedly. “It was many years ago, for goodness sake”

“But it’s hard to forget small things like that” Shawn said sneering at her before composing himself and walking off like nothing had transpired between him and Franca. His dark brown eyes stared back intently at her before he diminished from Franca’s sight.

Sarah and Anne witnessed the confrontation although they were outside the classroom when it occurred. They rushed inside the now empty classroom to see a slightly out of place Franca. Her hair was messy, a thing she did when she was frustrated and angry.

“Please Franca, tell us what happened? I hope he didn’t do anything to you. Did he hurt you? If he did anything, I will put him in his place” Anne said, clenching and unclenching her fists in anger. Sarah was gob smacked; Anne was always so calm and collected.

Franca smiled sadly, before telling them she was okay.

“Hey guys, I think he has a personal vendetta against me, he threatened me”

“He should really get over it” Sarah retorted.

“I think he is going to make my life a living hell. You should have seen his face; he truly meant what he said. I would even go as far as to say, she came back here just to get back at me”

“Oh, don’t be ridiculous Franca. Just ignore him, he can’t do anything, he just wants you to be afraid, that’s all” Sarah said before pulling Franca into a much needed hug.

“I wish I was living your life Franca. Like seriously, your life is so interesting. You have Tyler and Sam, who you say is just a friend fighting over you. To make it even dramatic, then you come across as a bully that has been harboring revenge against you since the past 5 years? Really, you can’t get dramatic than this, you life is like a teenage drama. Compared to yours, my life is awfully boring. Can we switch places Franca” Anne said.

“Anne is full of surprises today; she has changed a lot from the shy Anne we used to know. What have we done to Anne Franca?”

“Nothing, she just became more outspoken” Anne said

“Yes, irritatingly so” Franca said, before she felt a smack on her head

“Ahhh….. What was that for?”

“That was for being a smartass”

AN: Tell me what you think. Thanks for waiting! :)