Chapter 19

Ruby POV

"Damn it!" Fat Amy shouted, throwing down her cards. Her arms fly up into the sky as she shakes her head. A laugh escapes my lips reaching forward, taking all the prize money in the middle of the table.

"Amy language!" Emily shouts back. I glance up seeing a disapproval look spread against Emily's face as she looks at Amy. Amy throws up her hands again and shakes her head.

"I can't help it! This child is too good at poker. I'm the best! No one's ever beaten me!" Amy complains, turning her head to look at me. "How do you do it?" Another laugh escapes my lips as I shrug my shoulders. I go to speak when I hear the doorbell. I stand quickly, stopping Amy and Emily from getting up. I make my way out of the living room and to the front door. When I open the front door I'm met with someone's back, but the moment the door creaks the person turns and I meet familiar eyes.

"Jake?" I say, tilting my head and furrowing my eyebrows. A small smile spreads against his lips, his hands remaining in the pockets of his jeans. I look around him and then behind me, before looking back at him. Our eyes meet. "What are you...doing here?"

"Is your mother here?" He asks.

"Which one?" I ask back, giving him questioning eyes. A weird chuckle escaped his lips as he looked to the right. "Either way, they're not here." His head quickly turns back, our eyes meeting once again. An expression I couldn't really read spread across his face. He nodded his head slowly and I could've sworn I saw his expression get angry.

"Where are they? Are they together?"

"Why does it matter? My mother said she was done with you anyways-" I pause a moment grabbing a hold of the door getting ready to close it. "I think it's best if you just go Jake. Maybe find someone else and forget about my mother." I go to shut the door on that note, but Jake stops it pushing it back up with his hand. Our eyes meet and anger spreads across his face. I took a couple steps back and I could've swore he was about to do something, but like luck was in my favor I felt a pair of hands on my shoulders from behind me giving me a tight squeeze.

"I'm sorry, can I help you?" Emily's voice asks. I look up to meet her eyes. She looks away from me and looks at Jake. Jake takes a step back and shakes his head.

"Sorry I was just looking for someone." He takes a moment. His eyes slowly come to lock with mine. He doesn't say anything, his expression draws blank before he finally looks away from me and looks at Emily. "Sorry for the intrusion. I'll be leaving now." Neither me or Emily say anything as Jake turns on his heels and heads down the sidewalk walking to his pickup truck, getting inside and driving off. Emily steps off away from behind me and closes the door. She turns around after locking it and gives me concerned looks.

"I'm okay, Em," I tell her. She nods and walks towards me, placing a gentle hand on my shoulder.

"Who was that?" She asked, her voice lower than it had been. I shrug my shoulders.

"Just some guy my mom used to date-" I pause a moment rethinking that. "My mom, as in Chloe." Emily nods and drops her hand from my shoulder. "Are we playing another round of poker?" A smile spreads to Emily's lips as she nods her head yes. A small smile spreads to my own lips as we head back to where Amy sits, messing on her phone. Emily and I take a seat of where we were before Jake showed up.

"Finally you losers are back," Amy says, putting her phone down and leaning back up on the couch. "Ready to see me win?" I look at her and shake my head smirking.

"In your dreams," I respond as we begin to play once more. But while my hands play the game, my mind thinks of Jake....

                                                       🖤🖤🖤🖤🖤🖤

Beca POV

I breathed heavily with my eyes closed. Chloe's body slips off and lays to the right. Slowly, I open my eyes and find myself looking up at the ceiling. "See, told you to give me a chance," Chloe speaks which only causes me to laugh a bit. I turn my head to look at her, seeing her pull the blanket up to her chest, covering herself. I turn back and look back to the ceiling.

"Well I did and not gonna lie. That...That was the best sex I've had..." I let my voice trail off shaking my head. A long silence filled the air, but it was a comfortable silence. Something I never knew existed until now. A small smile filled my lips as I turned my head. My eyes scanned the ginger's side profile. A bigger smile growing on my face as she turns her head, our eyes meeting.

"Mitchell, you have got to quit staring," Chloe whispers. I shake my head and squint my eyes, keeping my eyes on the girl before me. Chloe shakes her own head from side to side, adjusting her position making the whole bed shake. I watch her nonetheless as she turns on her side, prompting her head up on her hand. My smile grows wider, my teeth now showing. A smile then grew on her own lips and a tint of pink rose to her cheeks. I chuckled softly as she dropped her head, hiding her face. I reached over and pinched her chin, picking her head up.

"Don't hide...Pretty girls shouldn't hide," I whisper. Chloe rolls her eyes and shakes her head, while I keep my fingers on her chin.

"You're too much." She shakes her head once more as I shrug my shoulders.

"Am I? How ever do you put up with me?" I exaggerate. A laughter escapes from the girl's lips, causing a funny, weird feeling to rise into my stomach. I smiled, as I knew what they were. Butterflies, metaphorically speaking.

"Maybe it's because I haven't been able to give up on you...on us." I tilt my head, dropping my hand from her chin. "Don't give me that look Becs. You know what I'm talking about." I stayed silent, still squinting my eyes wanting her to speak more just so I could listen to her voice. And hear her words of course. But her voice was soothing, especially in this moment. Until I heard her sigh and roll her eyes. A smirk spread to my lips as she leaned over and pushed my shoulder playfully. A chuckle escaped both of us this time.

"Come on. Tell me more."

"..What I mean is... I know we've had our struggles and things happened. But.." She stops a moment looking away from my eyes. I give her a moment, letting her take her time. We sit in silence for a little bit before she finally picks her head up, our eyes to meet once more. "But everytime I look at you I'm brought back to the first time we met. I'm brought back to the first moment we actually spent together. Yeah, it might have been when I was creeping on you in the bathroom. And yes we were both naked but hey, ain't no complaints there." A chuckle escapes my lip, nodding my head agreeing with her.

"But after everything still...Anytime I look at you I always remember the little things. I remember all the reasons why I fell in love with you. And how I'm-" Before she could finish her sentence a phone began to ring. Both of us jumped and I turned my head, reaching for my phone. There I saw Emily's name pop up. I looked at Chloe who had a concerned look. Quickly, I slide the phone and put it to my ear.

"Hey Em-"

"Beca, something happened..." Her words kept going as I quickly sat up. My mind became foggy as I looked straight ahead. My smile that I had when me and Chloe were talking, had completely vanished. My expression turned to horror and worry and concern and sadness and anger and so many other emotions, I had no idea what I was feeling. But all I did was say thank you and that we're on our way. When I pulled my phone down from my ear, I felt a hand on my shoulder, giving me a squeeze. Slowly, I turned my head to meet Chloe's concerned eyes. I bit my lip as she gave me another gentle squeeze.

"Ruby's missing...."