nine// finding the gate

Will felt horrible. It was gut wrenching to him that he would have to go to the place where he once suffered. The cold feeling of the upside down is close, and it made him more sick than ever. The compass was slowly starting to malfunction, and as Joyce and Muary led the pack, they could sense the tension growing. The government had been told about Wills feeling coming back, but they ignored it. They knew work was going on in Russia, but they refused to believe there was anything going on in Hawkins. All of these kids however, knew something was off once again in their town. "Hey Will, how you feeling back there?" Robin said quietly while swinging around her weapon, a small pistol. "It's getting closer, I just don't know which direction." "If my calculations are correct, it's East of here." Nancy said, staring at a map. Jonathan grabbed the map from her and stopped in his tracks. "Someone give me a marker. Now." Dustin scurried in his backpack, and found a pen among the 5 pounds of food in his bag. He began circling places around the town and measuring with his fingers. "What the hell are you doing?" Mike said. Jonathan gasped and laughed. "Look! It's gotten stronger! Every portal is approximately the same distance from eachother on all sides of town! The newly opened one would have to be about 6 miles ahead, right in the towns rainwater ditch!" Maury clasped his hands together and rolled his eyes. "Thank god we have a destination now." He pulled out his car keys are started to walk back to his car which was a mile away with everyone following.

"STOP! RIGHT HERE!" The car full of misfits stopped abruptly in the middle of a corn field just outside of town. It felt horrible to Will. Like he was being stabbed in every vein and his blood was being replaced with ice water. The group got down and prepared the compasses. "It's close. Real close." Lucas said, pointing at the compass that was going crazy. Joyce and Muary looked at eachother. "Don't you kids move from here. Radio us every 5 minutes. Whatever you do, do not leave the car." The group nodded and got in the car. A long night was ahead of them.

Muary and Joyce walked for seemingly forever when finally, they found other people. They had to be Russian because they all looked tall and white, and spoke harshly to eachother. "What are they saying?" Joyce whispered. "Something about mission number 12. I'm not sure." They started to get closer as the guards turned their backs to talk to a man decorated in Russia's military uniform. "He said something about the gates growing size to them." Muary whispered. Joyce worked to try and make out the access code on the door as they went inside. "2829! The codes 2829!" They moved in by the door and held out fake cards to scan. They had become prepared enough, with fake government issued cards from a Russian scam artist, and a complete army uniform. The code and cards worked, and as they entered, Joyce almost screamed. Standing only a hundred meters from her was the man she hated with all her heart, Dr. Brenner. She felt her heart drop to her stomach as Muary shushed her to be quiet and act as a male. They proceeded past brenner, when someone spoke out to Muary in Russian. He responded with an Assertive salute and led Joyce to follow the man. They walked to the back And the man handed Muary the access card. "Good luck." He said in English with a heavy accent. "What did he say?!" Joyce pleaded as he started to head towards a door. "He asked if I was assigned to see the gate; I replied yes." "Why in hell did he say good luck!" Joyce asked. He looked back at her and responded simply, "We shall see."

The door opened and revealed what everyone had dreaded. The gate was large now, larger than ever, and it was growing rapidly. It was about the size of a industrial building now. The monster was in there as well, closer to the Russian side. "Oh my god. It's open in two locations." Joyce whispered. "They want to use the upside down and the monster in it as a Russian weapon. They're trying to control it, but they will fail." Muary said, still staring in awe. Then as Dr. Brenner entered the room, a layer of glass and metal came down from the ceiling, forming a shield.  "LET THE EXPIREMEMT BEGIN."

On the Russian side, there was much commotion. Adrick rushed to push open the glass barrier, allowing the monster to be closer than ever. The man stood along the sidelines at ready with guns and bombs. Then a single chair was wheeled out alone. Behind a thin glass barrier, a man with a sack over his head came into view and the base went silent. The monster, who was still hurting from y/n 's burns, reached out close to the man. The mans hood was taken off to reveal his identity. It was a much older and frail looking Hopper. He was alive after all and being used a research toy to see the intelligence and memory abilities of the monster.

Joyce almost fainted when she saw him on the observation screens. She wanted to scream and explode, but she would be caught and killed. Everyone watched intently as the monster slammed against Hoppers barrier, cracking it a little more with each blow. "It seems to recall him." Brenner said with a smirk. Joyce was standing only 20 feet away from him and her tension was greater than ever before.

/back to the kids/

"Hey that's kinda weird." Said Dustin, staring out the window. "Isn't that the car that's always parked in y/n s driveway?" The group immediately turned to see a black chevy speeding up and stopping at a clearing. A bulky man , y/ns bodyguard, jumped out and started running towards the base. "Oh my god. It is. It even has the same Hawaii bumper sticker." Max started to make her way out of the car, but was stopped by Steve. "We told them you wouldn't leave. And so you are not moving." "Cmon Steve it's right there, it's close and we would come back right away. They just want to peek in the car." Robin said, wanting to see what the car was all about. "FINE! 5 minutes! GO!" Steve said angrily, Will, Dustin and Nancy stayed behind in the car and watched the others run out to it. "Oh fuck! It's locked!" Max said, prying at the door. "Well yeah it's a top Russian guy, I'm pretty sure he knows how to lock his doors." The locks were impossible to pick at as well, and because it was a new model they didn't want any alarms to set off. "Just peek in the windows." Mike said and the group began to do so. There were lots of files in the backseats that no one could make out, but one thing stood out. Under the passenger seat, Max spotted something shocking. Y/ns bracelet. She knew it was hers because Max had asked to borrow it for an outfit. They needed to radio Elle as soon as possible. "ELLE! ELLE! ELLE ITS MAX ARE YOU OKAY PLEASE ANSWER!" she waited for a response and then heard y/ns voice. "Uh hey Max, we're fine! Elle just went to the bathroom." "WHERES ELLE I WANT TO TALK TO HER NOW." There was some static over the radio and Elles voice could be heard, "Max? I'm fine! We're playing jenga it's so fun!" Max took a deep breath and turned off the radio. "Why'd you do that so suddenly! We're supposed to be quiet!" Jonathan asked. "No reason. I just got worried." Max responded. Something was telling her not to tell the group about y/ns bracelet ; she was afraid is she did the group would hate and become suspicious of y/n.

/the gate/

Hopper was wheeled out of the area and taken into handcuffs by Russians. They put the shield up again and the monster fell to the floor in weakness and exhaustion. When Brenner began to clap at the expirements success, the flayer rose up again. It stared to run towards the Hawkins base at mighty speed and slam itself against the glass barrier. The barrier began to crack, which caused a scream and a bunch of alarms to set off across the base. The Russians started to ready themselves with guns as the flayer continued to hit the glass, almost breaking it. The room started to shake and Muary grabbed Joyce by the arm to lead her out. "WE NEED TO GO!" Joyce was still in a trance by the emotional stress of seeing Hopper, but continued to run after Muary back to the car. They ran all the way back to the car and met the kids by y/ns car. "WE NEED TO GO NOW!" Everyone ran back as Russian officials started to run out behind them. They sped away and the thought of why y/ns car was parked there was erased from their thoughts.