three // the gate

You wake up to your stupid alarm going off. 3 am. The devils hour. The perfect hour to go do what you need to. After throwing on a pair of jeans and a T-shirt, your agent knocks at your apartment door. You don't know their name, and you don't really need to, that bulk of guy is just there to make sure you don't get killed. Which you can handle yourself quite frankly. "Test subject 012." He addresses you. "Agent." You reply in a cold tone. He clears his throat. "You are to report to the base today. There's an urgent meeting and report from Russia. You're needed immediately." You nod your head and begin towards the car. What a shame, no school today. Your actually kinda getting used to being a normal teenager. Busy weekends, fun at school, sharing secrets with Max, becoming a friend to all, it was fun to play up a front. So fun, you wanted it to stay that way. No. No. Don't get attached. No.

"012! Or should I say, y/n?" You look up to Dr. Brenner smiling at your mission updates. "It's almost phase two! When you can actually get the girl. Adrick will be pleased." You look down, debating if you should say what you want to, it might get you punished. "Brenner..Papa..I don't think it's time." You say nervously. "Well, we cant wait around forever, the gates open my dear. And we're coaxing that monster out as well. That's what I'm doing here in Hawkins. We have to make sure that Russia is the only gate open. Not here, not anywhere. There can't be a trace of the other side." You look down. The gates already open. You're running out of time. "Unless, you want to stall? And face punishments?" You gulp nervously. "No. I just want my own say-." You're cut off my Brenner grabbing your shirt and wrapping his hands around your throat. "I think someone's getting too comfortable? Right?" As you struggle to breathe, he lays you down and ties your hands and feet. "This is a very urgent mission, which means urgent steps must be taken." He then proceeds to hook up the electrical wires to your head, and then connecting them to the electromagnetic wave box. He turns the dial all the way up and flicks the on switch. Pain bursts through you. Fire burns in your veins . The energy bursts painfully through every cell of your brain. Your eyeballs feel as though they are going to come out and your heart as if it's going to explode. You scream out in agony but that only makes him turn the dial up more. "You don't want this to happen to your weak minded mother right? Then do what your told. No questioned asked."

The next morning you show up to school. Drained and in constant pain. You take your usual seat at the lunchroom. "Hey, are you, okay?" You look up to see a concerned Dustin and Will. "Yeah, I know I look rough, just, sick." They nod silently, as you put your head down. For the first time, you don't listen to their conversations or even bother to look up at them. You're hurting too much. In bio, you sit next to Will. And he does something quite unexpected. He reaches for your hand. He's blushing very hard and seems rather shaky, but you let him and there you are, holding hands with Will Byers like some kind of idiot. You smile a weak, terrible smile, and he asks you again if your okay. You nod and say "I just need some rest." He nervously let's go of your hand and says, "let me do the work for you today." You nod and say a small thank you. Why is your heart fluttering like this? Strange. Probably just a side effect of yesterday. I should be killing you right now Will. If only they knew.