seventeen // between two worlds

Leaving Brenner behind to run away, you push and burn through the crowd of men, who have stopped their shooting now out of fear and confusion that you have arrived, making your way to Elle and Joyce. You push their heads down and lead them to a downstairs communications room. You can tell you're getting closer to the gate because it feels colder in the back of your neck. As Joyce ties a tourniquet around Elles leg, which is bleeding, and looks like a stab wound, you hand the files over. "He's there. When we take care of the Russians we have to move through the gate, to the Russian side." Joyce face drops in worry. "I'll go with you, to get the rest of them." Suddenly more gunshots start up, but you know is way too many to be anyone on your side. Joyce jumps with joy and gratefulness. "MUARY! YOU SON OF A BITCH!" She says smiling and lifting Elle up. "Come with us. Muary called some higher ups from the military, they've got it taken care of." "We-." Elle says, wiping the blood of her jeans. "We have to save both of them. Hopper and your mom."

Nancy and Jonathan run back outside to meet Steve and Robin, who are frantically telling the military commander what's happening, when they stop in their tracks in worry. "I THOUGHT YOU HAD BRENNER! WHAT HAPPENED?" The kids scream and with a worried glance they tell how a Russian Commander had come in to the storage closet where they were hiding in to make out with a fellow comrade in secret, and thus found them and saved Brenner and captured them. When they explained Elles condition and how Nancy saw her bleeding from her leg, Nancy tried to stop Jonathan from telling Mike about it, but it was too late. Mike grabbed his things in worry and ran into the base, he pushed past the guard who was trying to block him from entering. "MIKE!" Will screamed after him, but he was long gone. "FUCK!" Dustin screamed. "I'm going after him." Will whispered to Max. "Are you fucking crazy? If that cold feeling comes back you'll pass out!" "IM NOT LETTING MIKE GO ALONE!" He screams at her, alarming the officer.
Everyone seems to understand what he wants to do now. Nancy falls to the floor, faking an injury so that the officer goes over to her, and when his back is turned the rest of the kids rush in to find Mike.

Inside of the base it's a war zone. Russians fighting and firing guns at American Soldiers, and thankfully it looks like the Russians numbers are diminishing. Mike runs past everyone, dodging bullets to hide in an office, when he turns around, he's met with firmilar doe eyes, Will Byers. He sighs in relief and drops his head in his hands. "You shouldn't have come. I- I'm sorry for leading all of you-." "Mike." Will says, prying his hands away. "You've always been there by my side, you're dumb if you think I won't do the same for you." He says with a smile. "Well yeah, we are best friends." Max says, hand reaching out to Mike. "Expect for Lucas, he's just a piece of shit." She says, and laughter erupts as Lucas says, "Hey, I am your boyfriend actually!" Then Steve and Robin are busting through the door, Nancy and Jonathan behind. "Let's find Elle and Y/N, and finish this shit once and for all."

You stand in front of the gate as your body goes rigid with cold. You can see the Russian base on the other side of the glass, and your body squirms as you watch insect-like creatures fly around the upside down. The monster is no where around, yet on the other side only two scientists stand in front of the plexiglass. "Joyce, you stay here with Elle. I'm going to the Russian side." You say, preparing yourself. Alone?!" Elle says, almost screaming. She gets up in an effort to go with you, but with the stan wound in her leg it's obvious she can't run. "Let me do this, please." She stares back at you in denial. "Trust me Elle. You need some recovery time." She nods and you move forward, your hands shaking as you press the buttons on the gate. You use Brenners codes, and with gasoline in hand the metal door slides open, opening into the cold world of the upside down. "I'll get him home safe, I promise Elle."

It's eerily quiet, and with one last look to Elle through the window, you trudge forward. Your hands shake on the gasoline handle as you make your way across the field of insects and demo dogs. As you trudge through, your foot hits a piece of torn fabric, it was a new coat Brenner had given you last year in Russia, as a reward for burning the mind flayer a leg for the first time. The memory of that mission is foggy, but it gives you a striking new idea.