5 | Sushi and Exes

"Can I have some water for now please?" I told the waitress politely. She's beautiful for a waitress, girls like her should be working as a model or maybe even an actress and with that curvy body of hers, she would've been famous.

"Sure, Ma'am." She nodded before going to the counter to get me some water. I'm currently sitting in this Italian restaurant where Andres told me to meet him. He had told me yesterday before I went to work that we should have lunch first before going to Sergio's place, saying we might be there for a while.

The bell on the door of the restaurant rung, signalling a person just entered. I looked up and saw the guy standing there who looked like he was about to meet the queen with what he's wearing right now. He looked around the place and a smile formed on his face when his eyes landed on me.

"It's a beautiful day, isn't it?" He said as he removed his coat and took the seat in front of me. He was holding a plastic bag which looks like a take out of Japanese food.

"What's that?" I asked and pointed at the plastic bag. He looked at what I was indicating, and he tilted his head at me and smiled proudly.

"This here, is your favorite." He said as he took out the contents of the bag. "I knew your gonna get hungry later on my brother's long talk, and I happen to pass by a Japanese place, so I bought you some snacks." And when I saw what is inside the transparent container, my stomach have never been this happy. It's been awhile since the last time I ate sushi. And this food is something I can eat for days straight.

"Am I not the best person in the world right now?" He said proud with what he did. I laughed at him. Asian food is something that I can never get tired of eating and he knows me that well.

I smiled when I remembered our cooking adventures before, trying to cook Asian food by ourselves. I remember when we would save some money to be able to buy the ingredients. We had a cook book as our guide which Andres got with his talent. He stole it from the public library.

~~~

"Is this all we need?" Andres asked. We were in the grocery to buy the ingredients we need to make the maki sushi roll. I looked at the list of ingredients I made and checked if we missed anything.

"Yeah, everything is already here in the cart." I nodded at him. I was so excited on making this food. When I first ate Asian food, I wasn't that into it, but after sometime I grew to like it then loved it. The spices, the aroma and the rich flavors, there's nothing not to love.

After buying what we needed we headed back to my house. We entered the kitchen and placed all the stuff we bought on the counter. We started preparing and slicing the things needed for the filling. Andres took charge of the slicing while he assigned me to wash the ingredients and cook the rice. Of course, he thinks I can't handle a knife and said "Well, we don't want blood from your fingers as the sauce."

I looked at the cook book to see if there's anything I can do while waiting for the rice to cook. This is actually the first time both of us tried cooking so it's kind of new yet exciting to us. When I read the instructions that's when I found out we were missing something.

"Andres, it says here we needed a bamboo mat to roll it." I informed him. How are we gonna roll it if we don't have this bamboo thing? He stopped slicing and furrowed his brows as it seemed like he was thinking of something.

"We'll improvise." He said while looking around the kitchen trying to find something. When his eyes landed at the thing he's looking for, his face brightened.

"I guess bamboo mat and placemat is the same thing right?" He said while holding the placemat for me to see. I shook my head at him, and I guess that explains how our cooking didn't end up as good as we thought.