Chapter 16 - Getting Them Off Our Scent

            I sat against the wall with Carter next to the balcony. Brittany and Mike went home 10 minutes ago. What am I supposed to do now? Whether Mike can convince his dad or not the police are still onto me. They know I’m lying. It’s only a matter of time before they start putting some pieces together. I leaned my head on Carter’s shoulder. I’m glad he’s here. I breathed in his cologne and left a kiss on his neck.

“What do I do?” I asked him.

“There are two people who could help.”

I looked over at the palace. He’s talking about Rolla and Pilote.

“Should we?”

He shrugged, “I don’t know.”

I stood up and brushed the dust off my pants.

Carter stood up, “Does this mean we’re going?”

I nodded, “It’s time to face Rolla Carter. I am not going to jail and Rolla’s possibly the only one who can help us out of this situation.”

“Want me to go with you?”

I took a deep breath before nodding, “We can go in there together.”

            Carter took my hand before we started walking over to the palace. We couldn’t pause long because someone might see us, but we did pause for a few seconds before opening the door. I was surprised to find out the door was unlocked. I guess I should not have been surprised though. The palace does not even exist to most of the Tigmas so they didn’t need to worry about anyone coming in unannounced. Carter opened the door and let me in first. I never let go of his hand. They must have heard the door open because within seconds two people were standing in front of us. I was too shocked to even look around me at this point. I didn’t care about anything except finding out about them. They look our age yet older somehow. It’s probably because they are hundreds of years old. They look the same age as I am, but wiser than anybody I have ever met. They were holding hands. I’ve never seen someone as beautiful as they were though. It was different.

“Well thank you,” The girl said, I’m guessing Rolla, “but I think the real question is what are you doing here? It’s against the law.”

“If it’s against the law,” I replied, “then why are you two here? If it’s so bad then how did we get in in the first place?”

The guy, I’m guessing Pilote, was the first one to reply, “We don’t exist.”

“What?” I asked. How can they not exist?

“Because we don’t,” Rolla answered, “They would never believe you… oh my God…”

            Wait, what just happened? When she suddenly stopped Pilote started whispering in her ear. What the hell is going on?! Something is very suspicious here. I’m only supposed to ask for help, but it’s more than that. Maybe I won’t even get the chance to ask for help. I never expected the moment to be like this.

“We can trust you,” Pilote said.

“What’s going on?” I asked. “You do notice how confused I am right now right?”

“Same here,” Carter finally spoke.

“Tigma,” Rolla finally said.

“Tigma?” I went pale and all I could do was repeat the word. She knows she can trust me because I’m a Tigma. We really are a trusting race.

“Tigma,” she repeated. “You want to know why your world is so secret. Why you don’t have the subject of history in any of the schools or why everyone is forced to do a certain thing. You know parts of it, I can sense it, but you don’t know everything. You don’t know everything because the only person who knows it is us.”