The Four Basic Commas

I've noticed a lot of people, here on Wattpad mostly, don't use commas much.

This is a serious issue. Do you know why?

It's because people think commas are not to be abused. They're right, but there's a difference between a good amount and abused. I've never seen someone abuse them since many people find commas not important.

I would like to at least address the main four types of commas: Introductory, Serial, Interruptor, and Conjunction commas.

1. Introductory Commas

These type of commas help introduce a sentence. these usually consist of a short intro sentence or a single word.

Examples with no comma:

However I didn't need to do it.
Before putting up the lights I grabbed a chair to stand on.

Examples with corrections:

However, I didn't need to do it.
Before putting up the lights, I grabbed a chair to stand on.

These are simple and easy to remember. Hell, all of these are. You better remember these comma rules!

2. Serial Commas

Serial commas are pretty easy to remember. It's when you list something off, it could be things you buy, foods, people, and many other things!

All you have to do is add a comma after every word listed except for the last one; unless you're continuing with a sentence, or you might not need a comma at all depending on how the sentence is worded.

Examples with no commas:

I bought milk eggs and bread.
My favorite colors are black dark blue and deep violet when it comes to clothing.

Examples with commas:

I bought milk, eggs, and bread.
My favorite colors are black, dark blue, and deep violet when it comes to clothing.

Another easy rule to remember, right?

3. Interruptor Commas

Interruptor commas explain themselves: they interrupt a sentence. The interruption could be a side thought, a name, or anything else. We use these a lot in our dialogue everyday, so you should know these.

Examples with no commas:

My sister Tori is a music major in college.
I went outside even though I wasn't supposed to so I could see my friend.

Examples with commas:

My sister, Tori, is a music major in college.
I went outside, even though I wasn't supposed to, so I could see my friend.

These are more difficult for people, even me, to remember sometimes. You will sometimes have to argue with yourself if it's right without commas or with them. Interrupters are a bit trickier.

4. Conjunction Commas

Conjunction commas are used when you combine two sentences together using any conjunction (and, but, or, nor) or adding some extra details to something in an incomplete sentence to a real sentence.

If you're not sure if two sentences are complete sentences, then you have no idea how you would even write a sentence. A complete sentence has a noun stated in it. Remember that a noun is a person, place, thing, or an idea.

I'll also throw in a conjunction sentence or two that doesn't need a comma at all. Let's see if you can find them before looking at the correct sentences. ;)

Examples with no commas:

I ran a mile and my friend went biking for three hours.
The ball dropped to the ground but didn't bounce back up.
She didn't steal your cookie and Josh didn't make a mess.
Does Spot prefer his bone or does he prefer his squeaky toy?

Examples with commas:

I ran a mile, and my friend went biking for three hours.
The ball dropped to the ground but didn't bounce back up.
She didn't steal your cookie, and Josh didn't make a mess.
Does Spot prefer his bone or does he prefer his squeaky toy?

Did you get it before looking at the correct answers? If so, good for you! :D

I hope this helps any of you on commas! I know I screw up from time to time with commas as well, so I thought I'd write this.

Did anyone else notice this is the Four Comma Rules and the fourth chapter? XD I just now noticed that.

Vote if you hate missing commas.