High School Writing Tips

NOTE: This chapter is a lot longer than the others. It may take a while to read.

Alright, I know stories set in high school are all the rave here on Wattpad, but it seems many people don't actually get what high school is like. (I'm looking at you, home-schoolers and middle school kids 👀)

I may have just graduated from my high school last year, but I can still give some decent tips on how you can write a story.

Now first off, popularity. Yes, the cliches do stick in some schools but not all. I'm like the girl next door while my neighbor was the popular blonde jock gal, her brother was also a popular blond jock.

Are all popular kids like this? Nope.

First off, your appearance doesn't always play into your popularity. The only part of your appearance that usually gets you popularity is if you're pretty in the FACE. So you can still write that the popular kid is hot. But know not all populars have a rocking or sexy body. There were some popular people who were 300+ pounds. Their personality and pretty face got them popular (or from being a sarcastic meme queen like one of my friends).

But there is another type of popularity that is given to most juniors or seniors: Name popularity

This type of popularity is where people know your name and can stick your face to your name. But past that, not much popularity unless you have an advanced skill set in something.

While I wasn't really popular, people knew me as the art kid by my senior year (because almost all seniors are known by everyone in the school if you're good at something). Many were indifferent about me, but others loved me or hated me.

Why? Because high school still has drama.

I got into some beef with someone I counted as a really close friend my freshman and sophomore year, but after my mother called out the girl's attention seeking attitude at My 15th birthday party, she and I had an on and off friendship. I'm not going to go into the details, but it ended up with her after our biggest fight trying to turn many people against me when they didn't even know me.

^^This is the immaturity that you see in ages 11-18

Now, for those who loved me? It was underclassmen as I got older and took more art classes. My art teacher loved me for my art skills. And many kids thought I was an awesome artist too. That's where people admiring me came from.

Just that personal example explains a lot of kids in high school. They get in some beef at some point, whether they are in the drama 100% or even just .00001%. The drama is something that is inevitable, but it does not take up your whole high school career.

The second type of super popular that you see rarely gets into drama. And usually if they're involved in drama, it's because they rejected someone's love confession or it's some silly mistake they made toward someone.

One boy from my high school was popular for not only being a super sweet, nice, funny, pretty guy, but he was also book smart (he and I shared the same advanced courses for 8 years, plus he took all available AP classes except physics due to it conflicting with band class) and the best musician in our school.

And no, not the guitar cliche (he did play though lol) but also drums, piano, trumpet, French horn, saxophone, percussion, and also did everything in a marching band drumline.

This dude got into drama too, but it was one sided drama where he went "Uh, what? What did I do?"

He was confused because he didn't know he caused drama for rejecting a girl's feelings.